Chapter 147 - Ministry Mistakes

They hadn't been lying when they said the injection would weaken me.  I constantly run a low grade fever, my body always aching and tired.  We have started the process to appeal my lycanthrope branding.  I'm not even sure if they could reverse the injection even if they wanted to. 

Unfortunately I still have to go to the ministry for the next full moon.  

I am taken down do the depths of the ministry.  I stepped out of the elevator and shiver at the temperature drop.  A line of sickly and exhausted people are lined up against the wall, and I am made to join.  I lean against the cold stone, my body crying in pain.  The man next to me looks just as bad off.  

An official marches down the hall, stopping at the front of the line.  He taps his wand on the werewolf's brand, checking their name off the list, before assigning them a cell.  He works his way down the line.  When it my turn, I move my hair, giving him access to the mark. 

"The Carrow mutt."  He grumbles, glaring down at me.  "You trying to destroy my life huh?"  

"What?  No."  I protest weakly.

"Can't bite me, so you go after my job."  He sneers, pushing me against the wall.

"I-"  I decide to shut up.

"Maybe I should throw you in a cell with Jerard."  The man grins, nodding down the hall to where another werewolf smiles at me, showing his sharpened teeth.

"Shove off, Reins."  Another official shouts down the hall, looking fed up with the man threatening me.  "Keep it up, and I'll testify against you myself."

With one last glare, the man releases me.

"Cell seventeen."  He barks, moving on to the next in line.  I take off, wanting to get as far away from him as possible.  I find the heavy door marked with my number and slip inside.  My head immediately starts pounding as I take in my surroundings.  It's a literal box.  No windows, just the single door.  The walls are painted with a thin layer of silver.  The floor is marred with deep claw marks of the wolves that occupied it before me.  

"Ten minutes until lockdown!"  Someone yells and I take a seat on the floor.  I pull my knees to my chest as I listen to the sounds of other people being herded into their own cells.  

"Lock down in three, two, one."  A loud buzz fills the hall and the doors slam shut at the same time.  With the open door having been the only source of light, I am plunged into pitch black.  And that's it.

I'm stuck here until the sunrises.  Shivering, I start to peel off my clothes, wanting to keep them intact for the morning.  I sit on the fabric, not wanting my butt on the cold, dirty floor.  Time is impossible to track in here, so it's just mindless waiting for the moon to rise high enough to trigger the transformation. 

When it does, it becomes the stuff of nightmares.

A loud chorus of screams echo as we all shift at the same time.  The noise hurts me sensitive ears, making me claw at them.  I force myself to stop when I feel blood dripping down the side of my face.  

Fully wolf, I pace the floor, restless and angry.  The werewolves around me howl and scream, fighting the cell and themselves.  I can't escape it.  The sounds of fear, anger, and pain.  I curl up in the smallest ball I can, wrapping my tail over my ears.  It does nothing to drown out the noises.  

I don't sleep a wink. 

Instead I am forced to listen to the sounds of literal torture all night.  

When the door opens in the morning, I don't move.

***

"Hey, love."  A voice above me calls softly, pulling my attention from the wall.  My eyes shift to see Fred in front of me.  "It's time you come home."