Chapter 69 - Good Soup

As winter deepens and the holidays approach, I don't feel the usual cheer.  I do some Christmas shopping with Mia and Celeste in early December.  Since I'll be spending  Christmas with the Weasleys, my list is a bit longer than usual.  And by a bit, I mean about three times as long.  I am not sure who I am supposed to buy gifts for, so I just get something for everyone.  

The morning of Christmas Eve comes around, and I stand in front of my fireplace with my duffle thrown over my shoulder.  Fred told me to come right after breakfast, but I find myself hesitating.  

I've heard about Christmases at the Burrow.  They are lively, crowded events, filled with family and their loved ones.  Presents, food, games, and shenanigans galore.  But as I stand there, preparing to floo, I feel like an outsider, about to impose on someone else's lovely time.

I must stand there a bit too long, because my fireplace comes to life.  A puff of smoke appears and Fred steps out onto my stone hearth.

"Come on!  Mum's been asking about you."  He grabs my arm, and before I can protest, drags me into the fireplace.  "The Burrow!"

Disoriented from the involuntary floo, I stumble into the Weasley's home.

"There you are dear!  I was beginning to think you got lost in the floo network!"  Mrs. Weasley wipes her hands on the apron around her waist and kisses my cheek.  "I hope you don't mind that I sent Fred to check on you."

"It's fine.  Sorry I'm late."  I hug the woman, still feeling nervous.

"Don't worry about it dear.  I just didn't want you to miss out on any festivities."  She gives me a warm smile before patting my cheek and heading back into the living room.   I hear her yelling at some of her kids to get their shoes off of the table, followed by the smacking sound of her whacking someone with her apron.

"Welcome to Christmas.  No one does a Christmas like us."  Fred winks cheekily before pulling me into the living room.  The room is packed.  I know who some of the people are, but not all.  The ones I recognize are Harry, Ron, George, Arthur, Ginny, and Remus.  There are two red haired men also present.  I presume that they are the older Weasley boys.  One of them has his arm wrapped around the waist of a familiar looking blonde.  After a moment of trying to place her, it comes to me.  Fleur Delacour, one of the competitors in the triwizard tournament.  

I unexpectedly feel a stabbing feeling in my chest as I remember Cedric.  I don't think of Cedric as often as I used to.  Now that I'm no longer at school, I don't constantly notice his absence in class and the common room.

"Hey, this is Hazel."  Fred introduces me.  "She's a uh... friend from back in school."

"Hello."  I blush at the hesitation before the use of the word friend.  Ginny snickers, and I shoot her a look to shut her up.  Of course that just makes her laugh harder.

"What's up with you?"  The ginger not with Fleur flicks his little sister in the back of the head.

"Nothing."  Ginny replies, grinning widely.  Both Fred and George clear their throats at the same time.  

"I'm Charlie."  The man hold out his hand for me to shake.  I take it, noticing several burn scars running up his arm.  He notices my glance and smiles.  "I work with dragons.  The burns comes with the job.  Gives me a rugged sex appeal, wouldn't you say?" 

Arthur Weasley chokes of his tea, coughing loudly and my eyes go wide.

"Appealing to who?  The dragons?"  I tilt my head, a smirk playing at the corners of my lips.