Chapter 129 - Reluctant Reuniting

Things with Charlie have returned to normal, and the birthday incident becomes a bit of a joke between us.  Well, more like a way of teasing each other.  I am honestly grateful for the lighthearted response to it.  It makes it feel less significant.

Winter settles in, and it's honestly not too bad.  I think it's actually better than the Scottish winters back at school.  Maybe its just the dragon fire though.  It does make a toasty bonfire.  December brings Christmas, and Charlie starts trying to get me to return to the Burrow with him for the holidays.  After weeks of turning him down, I finally agree, but with the stipulation that I can go to Snape's the moment I'm uncomfortable.  

So Friday after work, I am packing up mine and Teddy's things as I wait for Charlie to finish feeding the dragons their dinner.  Teddy is crawling around on the floor, stuck inside the little barrier spell I placed for him.  He picks up a little star toy and shoves it in his mouth, happily gnawing on it.

I finish packing the bags and feed Teddy some various mushy foods.  He's getting better at eating more solid things now that he's getting some teeth in.  Also good at biting fingers now.

"I'm back!"  Charlie shouts as he stops at the front door to kick off his work boots.

"We're in the kitchen!"  I yell back, placing a few crackers on the high chair tray.  Teddy's chubby baby hands grab at them clumsily.

"Let me change and pack, and we can head out.  Rosa said the portkey leaves at seven."  His voice fades as he heads to his room.  I work on cleaning the baby up, having to use more than one spell to get the sweet potato stains out.  

I carry Teddy while Charlie carries our bags, and we head to the office to grab the portkey.  To say I'm nervous would be an understatement.  My hands are shaking, and I feel a lot colder than I actually am.   I clutch Teddy to me tightly, taking comfort in the softness of his little bunting suit.  He looks so cute in it, his little pink nose sticking out.  

We reach the office, and grab the orange scarf that is acting as our portkey.  I hold my boy tightly to me as the whirlwind sensation washes over me.  I gingerly land on my feet next to Charlie on the front lawn of the Burrow.  A light layer of snow covers the ground, and golden light pours from all the windows.

"I'll go first.  Kind of ease you in."  Charlie offers and I nod, falling in line behind him.  He pops open the front door and sticks his head inside.  The smell of cookies floats through the open door, making me smile. 

"Mum I'm home!"  Charlie full on yells to be heard over the noise of the house.

"Charlie!"  Molly's voice greets him.  

"I've brought someone with me."  He warns her, his body still blocking me from view.

"Finally!  You've brought a girl!  I thought this day would never come!  Bring her in!"  Molly squeaks excitedly.

"It's not like that mum.  We're just friends."  He tells her, but even from his mother's silence I can tell she doesn't believe him. 

"Well, either way, let her in.  You're freezing her!"  Molly scolds, and Charlie obliges, shuffling further inside to make way for me.

Knees shaking so hard I can barely stand, I step into the house I once called home.  Teddy sneezes from the change in air pressure, making the cutest little noise.  My attention is pulled down to him, brushing back his hood as I pull a tissue from my pocket to wipe his nose.

"Sweet Merlin."  Molly whispers, and I look up to meet her gaze.  She honestly looks like she's about to hit the floor.  "It's true then."

"What?"  I glance at Charlie who just shrugs.