Chapter 95 - Coexisting

Despite the fact that I can't have my own room, and have to pretend to be Snape's little pet, life isn't too bad. He gets me my own bed, and put a curtain up so it almost feels like it's my own room. I help him in his office, taking on a bit of an assistant role as I wade through at lot of paperwork for him.

The days until the students arrive tick by, and we fall into a strange sort of rhythm. That is until I wake up to it raining.

"Today, Sir. She'll find the locket today." I tell Professor Snape as we eat our cinnamon bread.

"We will await word then." He nods, not looking up from his work. I peek over his shoulder and realize that he is renewing contracts with the Hogsmeade Train Station.

"Okay." I shut up then, not wanting to distract him. After a long few minutes he sighs, folding the contract up and shoving it into his robes pocket. "Are you alright, Sir?"

"Being headmaster kind of sucks." He admits, and I laugh.

"I believe it. Being the headmaster's assistant sucks at times too." I tease.

"Fair." He shrugs, taking another bite of his breakfast.

"How much more do you have to do before the kids arrive?" I ask, picking up my empty plate and mug. I put them in the sink and start washing them.

"McGonagall and the other professors will be arriving tomorrow." He runs a hand over his face, and I tense.

"Yeah?" I try not to let my nervousness show. "And how are you feeling about that?"

"Honestly, I'm dreading it." He mutters.

"Well, you got me at least." I put my dishes to dry.

"I still haven't figured out why."

"What do you mean?" I dry my hands and come stand beside him.

"Why are you here? You sacrificed so much to be here. Why?" He searches my face, trying to figure out the answer.

"Do you remember your first year?" I ask, clasping my hands in front of me.

"Yes."

"Were you excited?" I tilt my head, as he nods. "I have to protect that. Their innocence. The wonder of magic. These children know no one. They don't have friends here yet. They know nothing of protecting themselves."

"And you think myself and the other professors are not capable of doing that?"

"Not completely." I smile sadly. "I know you'll do your best. But I am where I need to be."

"And what of your boyfriend?" He cuts to the deep stuff.

"He's not my boyfriend anymore." I state.

"And the prophecy?"

"Takes place here. So there's no better place for me to be."

"Very well. It's it time to return to my office. I have something that needs to be completed before tomorrow." He ends the conversation, leaving me to my thoughts as we return to his office. Saying that Fred isn't my boyfriend, out loud, hurt more than I was expecting.

Back at the desk, which now has a second chair, he pulls out a stack of papers. I recognize the scrawl as Dumbledore's.

"Are you aware of what Potter is planning?" He questions.

"The horcruxes." I whisper, shivering just saying it.

"Yes. Dumbledore has entrusted me with the sword of Gryffindor to give to the boy when the time is right." He hands me one of the letters, which after a quick skim, tells him just that.