Chapter 108

They dropped below the surface of the water together, holding hands

They dropped below the surface of the water together, holding hands. Simon carefully opened his eyes and pulled Wilhelm to him, bringing their lips together. Wilhelm was taken aback at first but quickly wrapped his arms around Simon as they kissed under the water.

They broke the surface, still embracing one another then finally pulled back.

Simon reached up to push Wilhelm's wet hair out of his face and looked into his eyes, smiling sweetly.

Wilhelm leaned forward to embrace Simon softly again then released him and lay back, floating on the surface of the lake and looking up into the stark blue sky as it grew lighter.

Simon watched Wilhelm for a moment, smiling, then he lowered himself down into the water and leaned back to float beside him.

They listened to the water quietly lapping against their ears and Wilhelm reached out to find Simon's hand. They clasped their fingers together so they wouldn't drift apart.

They closed their eyes and floated there, feeling the morning sun on their faces.

______________

Soon after, they lay on the blanket looking into each other's eyes.

"Are you ready for graduation?" Wilhelm asked quietly.

"I think so." Simon replied. It was such a small thing compared to what lay ahead of them.

Wilhelm smiled, imagining Simon singing at the graduation ceremony and then thinking back to the first time he'd heard Simon sing.

Wilhelm wondered about his past self and what he would have done if he'd known that he was falling in love with this boy, if he'd known everything that would happen as a result of that moment.

He was sure that no matter what, he would gladly go through it all again as long as he was sure to end up here, looking into Simon's eyes and feeling happier than he'd ever felt.

Wilhelm was lost in his reverie, fantasizing about their future together but he suddenly cringed, embarrassed to ask but feeling just brave enough, "Would you ever...want to have kids...with me?"

Simon's eyes got wide, taken aback at actually hearing the words. He immediately smiled, already being sure of the answer for some time, "Um, yeah." He nodded. "Some day. Why?"

Wilhelm smiled in spite of himself, looked down to avoid Simon's gaze, "I just wondered. I know they would expect us to, to have an heir, but I think...I would want that anyway." He looked into Simon's eyes then continued shyly, "I would want that with you."

Wilhelm was always aware of his responsibility, but his question had come from that desire for a normal life with Simon and no one else, a life that was just for the two of them.

Simon felt the blush spread across his cheeks and they began to ache as he fought to hold back his grin and failed.

It would be several years before it was a possibility, but it made Simon feel safe and warm just thinking of their future together. He was euphoric in the certainty of his feelings for Wilhelm and even moreso now.