30. Parent meeting

It was just after twelve noon and they sat in the headmistress' office.

Linda had hurried in from work. Simon sat on her right, at the end of the line. Jan Olof sat to her left between the two families. Ludvig was to Jan Olof's left and Wilhelm sat next to his father on the other end.

They were all sitting in a U-shaped configuration opposite the headmistress and Boris who were both standing on the other side of her desk.

Anette greeted everyone and she and Boris sat down to begin the meeting.

"Firstly, I'd just like to express how sorry I am to have to have all of you here under these circumstances, and I would like to assure both families that we'll do our best to investigate this accusation to see if there is any truth to it and then take the appropriate measures."

Linda nodded at the headmistress and tried to smile. Simon and Wilhelm briefly met each other's gaze across the room. The Duke maintained a stern expression and nodded slowly as well.

Jan Olof interjected then, "I'd like to add that it's extremely important that we be careful not to jump to any conclusions or make any assumptions about what's happened before the school's investigation is concluded."

"Yes, of course. If the evidence we've received proves that it wasn't August, we don't want him labeled as a criminal since it can't be taken back. Even now he could be targeted unfairly by his classmates and that could be psychologically damaging."

Boris glanced at her with a blank expression. "Mm."

"We'll do our best to find out who's responsible for sending the photos as well." She continued.

Simon glanced at Wilhelm again and saw he was chewing his lower lip as he listened. He looked up suddenly and flashed a smirk at Simon. 

He was thinking that if the school hadn't figured out it was August who'd released the video, there was no way they'd figure out who made the group chat to out him.

"We're concerned that this may have been done maliciously by a peer-"

Jan Olof nodded emphatically and interrupted. "Exakt-"

"Eh, I'm sorry, maybe I've missed some previous discussions, rektorn, but shouldn't the evidence just be turned over to the police so they can investigate?" Boris asked suddenly, eyes wide. Everyone turned to look at him, surprised.

Jan Olof furrowed his brow and responded. "This would ruin his life completely if it were leaked to the press, and it's very likely it would be as soon as it was reported to the police. We don't want to take that risk without proof."

"Without proof?" Boris furrowed his brow as he stared at Jan Olof.

The headmistress interrupted as she could see that the tension was building between the psychologist and the royal adviser.

"We haven't be able to reach August's mother yet either which is another reason we're delaying going to the police. We'd like to notify her before we make any other decisions that can't be undone."

Boris looked at Anette skeptically. Wilhelm and Simon's eyes met again and they both felt extremely grateful for Boris' presence at the meeting as he was apparently the only voice of reason.

"August is prefect, captain of the rowing team,..." Jan Olof continued.

Wilhelm pursed his lips trying to hide his smirk and keep himself from saying what he was thinking: you mean he was.

"...and he is about to graduate. I've spoken to him and he says it must be that some school mate has targeted him out of jealousy of his position in the Royal Family."