Chapter 95

They'd had a great time at Simon's with Ayub, Rosh, Sara, and Linda that night once back from the palace. It had been a much-needed reprieve from the pressure and waiting.

 They'd laughed and played cards before settling down and watching a movie together.  They'd mostly avoided the topic of the interview and meeting at the palace until they sat around the coffee table with cards in their hands and Rosh had her turn.  She set her card down and looked up at Wilhelm.

"She must be up to something, right?"  Everyone stopped chatting and laughing and turned to look at Rosh.  "Do you know why she suddenly changed her mind?"

Simon's eyes got wide and he tried to signal to her to drop the subject but she wasn't paying him any attention as she waited for Wilhelm's answer.

"I...don't think she had a choice anymore."  Wilhelm spoke quietly and kept his answer short, hoping she would let it go, but Rosh insisted, ignoring the look that Simon gave her. The rest of them glanced at each other nervously.  

"So what does Simon have to do?" Simon cleared his throat hoping she would notice.

Wilhelm glanced at Simon then hesitated and shook his head looking back at Rosh. "Nothing...until we're both eighteen. Then...I think it'll just be appearances and stuff."  He waited, watching her.

"So like what your dad does?" She asked, wrinkling her brow.

Wilhelm froze, thinking of Simon living the way Ludvig did. "Uh...sort of, I guess." He glanced at Simon again and immediately regretted it.  He could feel Rosh's judgement.

Simon hurried to take his turn and set his card down. He quickly changed the subject.  "We have rehearsal again tomorrow. For graduation." 

Linda gave Simon a bright smile and asked eagerly, "What are you going to sing?"

"Mm...My school song I think...but I've also been working on a new one."  Wilhelm turned and smiled at Simon too.  He had no idea he'd been making any new music.  

"I don't know if it will be ready in two weeks, and it probably wouldn't work for graduation, but..." Simon shrugged his shoulders.

Wilhelm thought to himself that he'd have to ask Simon to sing it for him when they were back in their room at Hillerska.

The night went on and they settled in to watch a movie.  Linda and Sara cuddled up together on one end of the sofa, Wilhelm and Simon on the other.  Ayub sat on the floor leaning back against the couch next to Simon who had relaxed into Wilhelm's shoulder, feeling drowsy.  Rosh sat in the armchair, not especially convinced by the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo and Juliet the group had chosen. 

Simon dozed on his arm and Wilhelm imagined their futures again.  He looked down at the crown of Simon's head and  smiled sadly thinking of what Rosh had said.  He didn't want Simon to end up like Ludvig.

Wilhelm's attention was suddenly drawn to the phone buzzing in the pocket of his jeans.  He pulled it out slowly, trying not to disturb Simon. He saw there was finally a reply from his father.

__________________

Wilhelm stood just outside the door of the choir room, hidden from the choir members but still able to see Simon's profile from afar. He was engrossed in the song that Simon had written about them but also in his own thoughts.