Chapter 101

Ayub calmly observed the crowd in front of him as they moved to the beat of the music.  He lifted his eyes and gazed up at the glowing branches above their heads.  The party-goers were illuminated in neon green, blue and purple.  The lights cast shifting shadows around them.  He saw Felice and the other girls dancing off to one side, but Sara was conspicuously missing from their group.  

He wondered where she'd disappeared to and glanced to his left, thinking he'd ask her brother.  He stopped and smiled, realising that Simon would have no idea where his sister was.  Simon beamed up at Wilhelm who leaned in to whisper in Simon's ear just then. Simon smiled even wider and laughed, resting his forehead against his prince's then, looking as serene as Ayub had ever seen his friend.  

Wilhelm reached out to put his arm around Simon's waist and Simon held his hand on Wilhelm's chest, over his heart. 

Ayub smiled and turned away from them again, back to observing the party.  He wished Rosh had skipped her game to come out that night. He knew she'd be sorry to miss how happy their friend was with his prince. 

He suddenly thought back to the night Wilhelm had showed up at Simon's house as the three friends were about to head inside. He'd told Simon that he would give up everything so that he could be free with Simon. 

Wilhelm didn't ask for the life he was born into, and it didn't make him happy.  All he really wanted was to be happy with Simon, to have a normal life with the boy he loved.  As Ayub stood there near the blissful couple, it almost seemed that tonight Wille and Simon had some semblance of that normal life.  

He glanced around the crowd again. They weren't paying the slightest attention to Simon and Wilhelm.  If only it could always be this way, he thought.  Finally his friend could be himself and be happy with the person he was so in love with, who just happened to be the Crown Prince of Sweden.

But Ayub couldn't help but wonder how it would be once they were outside of Hillerska for good.  Here they were protected, but it was only temporary. He worried for Simon.

He glanced back at them and saw how they held each other in a warm embrace.  Then suddenly Wilhelm glanced down at his side then stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled out his phone.  Their mood immediately shifted. Wilhelm tensed up, looking anxious and preoccupied as he read. He hesitated then held out the phone for Simon too. 

Simon took it from Wilhelm's hand and both of their smiles disappeared. They stayed close and looked into each other's eyes sadly as they whispered to one another for a moment then Wilhelm pulled Simon into another tight embrace then reluctantly turned to go, leaving him behind.  He regretted  it but he moved quickly through the crowd, making his way up the hill through the press of moving bodies.  Ayub moved closer to Simon and they both watched Wilhelm move up through the trees until he disappeared from the halo of neon lights.