52. Report

Wilhelm and Simon were anxious that Jan Olof might come storming in with the bodyguards but they felt safer once they were inside the police station.  The police officer at the front desk greeted them as they entered the lobby.  

She was clearly surprised to see the Crown Prince there first thing in the morning.  Boris took over and explained why they'd come and asked to file a police report with a detective as soon as possible.

Wilhelm wasn't doing well.  He held Simon's hand tightly and Simon held Wilhelm's upper arm trying to keep him steady as they stood waiting nearby behind Boris.

A detective soon came out of a door off to one side of the front desk and called them back to an interview room.

"M-my mom isn't here yet." Simon commented to the detective as they approached the doorway that led to the interview room.

Nearly as soon as he said it, Linda rushed through the door behind them, still confused about why all of this was happening suddenly.

"Simon!" Linda hurried forward to meet him and gave him a hug, then did the same with Wilhelm.

"Are you alright, Wille?" She felt the heat from his forehead as she hugged him and became concerned.  She pulled back and saw how pale he was.

"I'm fine. I just...haven't slept." He grimaced, attempting to smile again and she stood back from him, watching him skeptically for a moment.  

Boris stood back and greeted Linda then offered, "I suppose I'll leave you then..." He wanted to respect the boys' privacy as they filed the report.

Simon and Wilhelm looked at each other hesitating, but the detective replied "Since there's a legal guardian present, you don't need to stay. We'll contact the school staff for interviews once we've begun our investigation." 

"Of course. I'll be available whenever you need me." He smiled at Simon and Wilhelm, then wished them luck and headed out again once they'd all said goodbye and Linda had thanked him especially.

As Boris was leaving he remembered.  "Oh!" He turned around and pulled the phone out of his pocket, then stretched it out to Simon.  Boris hadn't noticed it buzz a few moments earlier.

"Thank you." Simon smiled then quickly slipped it into his own pocket. They said goodbye again and Boris walked out to his car.  He glanced around but didn't see the Royal Court's van still parked down the street and slightly hidden behind shrubbery.

The three of them were shown into a warmly lit room with comfortable chairs arranged around a small table and a large window that could only be seen out of.  It was covered in reflective film so it appeared as if it were mirrored when viewed from the outside.

Linda, Simon, and Wilhelm occupied three seats at the four-person table.  The detective closed the door behind him and joined them.  

The detective was clean-shaven, wore glasses and a grey suit, and appeared to be in his mid-thirties.  He had a kind and honest face that put them at ease.  They took out their evidence for him.  

Simon showed the detective the photos of the dead pixels in the chat between he and Wilhelm.  The detective asked Simon to send them to him through email. 

Then Wilhelm pulled out the pen drive that contained the report of the school's computer hard drive, and he set it on the table in front of the detective.  Wilhelm suddenly shivered in his jacket even though the room was warm.

The detective took a laptop from his attaché case and inserted the pen drive to review the evidence and make himself a copy.  He then proceeded to fill out the report of August's crime by interviewing the boys.