57. Awake

There was no answer. Maybe he'd spoken too quietly.

He still wore his running gear, was covered in sweat, and probably still had blood encrusted somewhere in his hair. Now that he thought about it, he could definitely feel it there, stiffening his curls.

He stood up from the bed, moved quietly to the door, and turned to glance at himself in the mirror over the sink.

The blood in his hair wasn't noticeable. The bandages across his forehead gave him away regardless he realised.

It suddenly occurred to him that the police never would have been so patient with him not opening the door right away. He imagined Jan Olof on the other side of it. But then he realised that Jan Olof wouldn't have been patient either. Maybe one of the Court's other advisors had come for him.

He put his ear to the door then, listening, holding completely still. He thought he heard an impatient shifting on the other side, then he pulled back from the door and asked again. "Vem är det?"

"Ehh, August. Kan vi prata lite?"

He recognised the older man's gruff voice right away and froze at the door. Then he slowly reached out to turn the handle and stepped back as he pulled the door inward.

The old man clasped his hands in front of his body and gave August a strained smile as he waited to be invited in.

______________________

The bodyguard pulled the door open and held it for the Queen. He offered his hand to help her step out of the black sedan as well.

They 'd gone down into the basement parking garage of the hospital to avoid attention from the members of press that had gathered outside the building.

Kristina glanced over to see that Ludvig was making his way over to join her from the van that had parked in a space nearby. Before he reached her, the doors of the service elevator opened and Jan Olof stepped out, greeting the Queen then approaching her.

"Your Majesty, the Crown Prince is in stable condition. We'll go up now and speak with the hospital administrator. She'll take you to the Crown Prince's suite."

She nodded to Jan Olof, keeping herself composed. Then Ludvig stepped in line beside her and offered her his arm which she accepted.

Kristina and Ludvig were used to the routine. They had to appear united, especially in more difficult moments when strangers' eyes would be on them, regardless of what was actually going on within the family.

Jan Olof followed the Queen and Duke through the entrance to the service elevator followed by their security detail.

"I'm not sure how the press found out." Jan Olof explained as they entered the elevator. I thought it may have been at the police station, but it's also possible it was a member of the hospital staff. I've spoken to the administrator about it but there's nothing so far."

The doors closed.

"Once Crown Prince Wilhelm is well again, he can make an appearance so we can dispel the rumors of a succession crisis."

Kristina nodded slowly, skeptical, "But he is fine?"

"Well he's ill...but stable, and there's nothing seriously wrong with him it seems."

On an upper floor, the hospital administrator waited to accompany them to the small, private wing of the Intensive Care Unit of Bjärstad Hospital where the Crown Prince lay waiting, unconscious.

___________________________________

Some time earlier...

As soon as he turned the car to make his way up the gravel drive toward Hillerska, he noticed the black van parked ahead of him up the hill.