50. Police station

He slowed the car as they made their way through the streets of Bjärstad, keeping an eye on the black van that followed closely behind them.  When they paused at stoplights, Boris made stern eye contact with Jan Olof who was clearly very angry, and nervous.

Simon and Wilhelm had finally let go of each other but sat close together holding hands and watching the lanscape go by then checking behind them every few seconds too.

They were very near the police station and Boris gave the boys a warning.  "Don't move if I don't say so." 

They both agreed and waited with bated breath as he took another turn.  They saw the police station come into view up ahead and Boris sped up slightly, expecting to be prevented from arriving or entering the police station at any moment.

He turned into the parking lot quickly and stopped as close to the main entrance as he could.  The van immediately parked next to him and two body guards jumped out,  standing on either side of his car, blocking any exit for him or the boys.  Boris locked all of the doors.

Jan Olof stepped out of the front passenger's side of the van and left the door open behind him.  He approached Boris' window and tapped on it.  Boris narrowed his eyes at Jan Olof then lowered his window just a crack to hear what Jan Olof could possibly have to say.

"I need to speak to the Crown Prince.  His mother is concerned about him."

"You can wait until we've spoken to the police."  Boris replied.

Then Jan Olof turned to look back at Wilhelm and spoke to him directly. "Kronprinsen, you don't understand what you're doing to your family.  Your mother needs to speak to you."

"I'll speak to her afterward." Wilhelm answered quietly, looking him sternly in the eyes with the little bit of energy he had left.

Jan Olof didn't know what else to say to Wilhelm to try to convince him and he was getting  nervous about the police coming out of the station if he didn't hurry and get Wilehlm away from there.  

He turned to Boris and exhaled impatiently. "You're kidnapping the Crown Prince and he needs to come with us."  Jan Olof glanced back at Wilhelm.

The frustration of the accusation and being stopped so close to their goal made the normally soft spoken, friendly Boris snap at the old man.  "Oh, please! This is ridiculous! I'm kidnapping the Crown Prince and taking him to the police station, am I?! Are you insane?!  We're going to report August and you're not going to touch Wilhelm, because if you do, you and the Queen will be on the news today, now get away from my car!!" 

Simon and Wilhelm sat in the back nervously holding hands and glanced sideways at each other, wide-eyed as they listened to Boris shout at Jan Olof.

Jan Olof blinked slowly, his mouth agape, he exhaled and nodded at the bodyguards who reluctantly stepped away from Boris' car.  Then Jan Olof took out his phone and dialed the Queen.

Boris turned back to speak to the boys. "Both of you, go out the passenger's side and head in."  They nodded in agreement, and he quickly took his keys from the ignition then unlocked all of the doors.  

They paused for a moment to make sure that Jan Olof and the bodyguards didn't move, then Wilhelm pushed his door open.  Wilhelm stepped out first, then Boris, and finally Simon behind Wilhelm, still holding his hand.  They made for the entrance.

Without moving, Jan Olof spoke to Wilhelm across the top of the car, trying to keep his voice down as he held the phone there.  "Kronprinsen...you both need August...as much as we do."

Wilhelm paused and turned back to look at Jan Olof over his shoulder, furrowing his brow and waiting for him to continue.

"You're hurting yourselves and your families by doing this..." He finally glanced at Simon then too. 

Wilhelm frowned, flaired his nostrils and shook his head.

"...and we'll have to defend him, because he's the Royal Family's only hope for an heir..."

With great effort Wilhelm finally replied. "You don't have to do any of this...there are other ways...but you don't care...and I don't care anymore either." He answered bleary-eyed, almost in a whisper, feeling as though he might be sick right there.  

He wanted to say more and tell Jan Olof how little any of this meant compared to what Simon meant to him, but he was too ill to stay there any longer.

"I'll speak to my mother later."   He turned back to Boris who was waiting for him.  He clasped Simon's hand and they walked into the police station together.