Chapter 84

When we arrive back at Area Zero, having traveled via plane and then through the Zero Gate, we teleport ourselves to the first Research Station. As we step outside, Briar rushes to the fence, her excitement palpable.

"We made it... I-I'm finally here... Area Zero! The place I've dreamed about for years!" Briar gasps, her voice filled with awe.

"Whoa... This is incredible," Carmine adds, her eyes wide with wonder.

"Wowzers..." Kieran gasps in amazement before turning to us. "Uh... So you've been here before, right, Ash?"

"Yeah, we've come here with a bunch of my friends," I confirm with a nostalgic sigh. "Of course, these guys as well."

Just then, Koraidon and Miraidon pop out of their Pokeballs, and Carmine gasps, "Eek! You scared me! Honestly! You're too big to come popping out like that, er... Whatchama-don!"

"They are Koraidon and Miraidon," Alice explains with a sigh, her tone indicating that she's used to Carmine's reactions.

"So you came here with Ash and Serena back then too, huh?" Kieran asks, curiosity evident in his voice.

"Oh! You must be those Pokémon that were reportedly first discovered in Area Zero!" Briar exclaims with fascination as she approaches Koraidon and Miraidon. "I'm very intrigued by this specimen, but alas, that's not what we're here for. We're here to go to the deepest depths of Area Zero... And see what's even deeper!"

"What do you mean deeper?" I inquire, puzzled by her statement.

My mom steps forward to offer an explanation, "According to Heath, he mentioned in his writings that he fell from the depths into someplace even deeper."

"Wait, hold on. Doesn't the 'depths' imply he was as deep as he could get?" Carmine interjects, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"Yes! It's quite curious, isn't it?" Elena adds, her curiosity piqued.

"However, Heath also wrote that he was utterly unable to recall how he got down there," Briar elaborates. "If his writings are to be believed, there must be an entire uncharted space below Area Zero... Well, either way, we should start by making for the Zero Lab down in the depths."

As we press forward, I take the opportunity to show my Dad the six pictures. He studies them intently before speaking up, "So you say there are more Paradox Pokémon that you haven't caught in this area?"

"Yeah, Dad. I thought that now that we're giving a second time to explore, maybe I can find the Pokémon," I explain.

Just then, a Flare Blitz comes hurtling toward us, forcing us to dodge the attack. The creature responsible bears a striking resemblance to Entei, yet its mane blazes with golden edges like a crown of swords, and its paws are armed with crimson claws.

"There's no mistaking it... that's Gouging Fire... the Paradox Entei," I identify with certainty.

It becomes apparent that Gouging Fire is blocking our path downwards, prompting us to engage in battle. I decide to send out Iron Bundle to face it. However, the Hydro Pump attack doesn't seem to do much damage to Gouging Fire, and it retaliates with a powerful Dragon Claw, slamming into Iron Bundle.

"It's also Dragon?" Lillie gasps in surprise.

"Maybe it's best to use another Pokémon. Iron Bundle, Flip Turn!" I command, attempting to recall Iron Bundle. To my surprise, Gouging Fire erects a Protect barrier with flames, and the barrier also burns Iron Bundle.

"Burning Bulwark..." My Dad remarks, recognizing the move. "I think that's the name of the move."

As the eyes of the Paradox Entei begin to glow, signaling its use of Raging Fury, I gasp, "Oh no... it can use Raging Fury as well!"