Chapter 44

In our Language Class with Professor Salvatore, he begins, "How did you like the midterm exam? You all did really great! We're halfway there! And now, time for another lesson! Êtes-vous prêts—are you ready?"

Various responses fill the room, like 'Yes' or 'Oui.' Professor Salvatore smiles and responds, "Très bonne réponse—great answer! Merci, my friends! I knew I could count on you stars. Leading up to the midterm, we learned all sorts of words from different regions! Starting today, though, I'll be throwing a curve ball—for we begin listening comprehension! Vas-y—go for it, my assistant! Pika pi, Pikachu!"

He sends out a Pikachu, instantly capturing my Pikachu's attention. The Pikachu greets everyone in the classroom, and Salvatore continues, "As you just heard, Pokémon can also use words to communicate! It's not always easy for us to understand them, but their words have meanings—just as ours do. Pokémon can use language to share all kinds of information with each other—like the location of food or whether there may be predators nearby! The same Pokémon's cries may sound different depending on what it wants to say! I'm sure you're all curious, so aujourd'hui—today, that is—let's learn some Pokémon language!"

For aura users and Pokémon like us, this should be a breeze. Professor Salvatore turns to the Pikachu, saying, "Je t'en prie—if you would be so kind, Pikachu!"

"Piggah!" The Pikachu appears to be emitting frustrated sounds, prompting Professor Salvatore to inquire, "What emotion do you suppose Pikachu was trying to convey just now?"

I raise my hand and answer, "He's angry?"

"Merveilleux, Florian! Correct! I guess we should call you "Professor"! When Pikachu says that, it's using its angry voice! That's right—I had my little Pikachu friend here pretend to be angry for us! Don't you think he did a great job? Give Pikachu a round of applause, everyone!"

We all applaud, and Professor Salvatore continues the lecture, "The same Pokémon can even communicate its feelings in many different ways! Their voices change depending on their mood and physical condition. Try listening more carefully to Pokémon—you might gain a deeper understanding of them! That having been said, Pokémon are quite mysterious creatures! Some actually don't communicate with words at all, but instead use things like electromagnetic or ultrasonic waves—some even use telepathy! And now, apropos of nothing, let me give you all one of my wise words of advice! If you poke at your Pokémon too many times while washing them during picnics, they'll get mad at you like Pikachu just demonstrated!"

The bell rings, and Professor Salvatore concludes, "Well, adios! Mata ne! À la prochaine! See you later, everyone!"

After class, we head to the Biology Classroom and find Professor Salvatore there, engaged in conversation with Professor Jacq. He greets us, saying, "Oh! My dear Florian and Juliana! Thanks to your advice from before, Pawmi is... Well, just see for yourself!"

We glance at the Pawmi by his side, only to find it hiding behind his leg. Serena inquires, "Is it feeling better now?"

"Hmm... yes. It's feeling better, but this particular Pawmi may just be a bit meek, I suppose," Professor Salvatore replies.

Professor Jacq adds, "I had Nurse Miriam take a look as well, and she says there's nothing wrong with its health. So it shouldn't have any injuries, ailments, or the like."

"Even so, it never utters so much as a cry, which is odd. That part has even Mr. Jacq here stumped," Professor Salvatore sighs, his brow furrowing in concern.

"Sorry that I couldn't be of any help..." Professor Jacq offers an apologetic look.

"Ne t'inquiète pas! Don't worry about it!" Professor Salvatore replies. "I have some more information now thanks to the academy's security cameras, though. It seems Pawmi was attacked by a wild Pokémon and fled here to the academy grounds. Maybe it's still in a bit of shock from that experience and can't bring itself to speak yet?"