Chapter 70

We find the two Professors in front of us, and to our shock, they simultaneously declare, "Human presence detected within the Zero Lab."

I look at Serena and my parents, puzzled. Why would they speak in unison like that? What's going on here? Just then, both Professors continue, "Deactivating sleep mode."

Their eyes blink red for Sada and blue for Turo for a second, then they stand up, walking towards the two of us.

"Hello, Ash and Serena. Thank you for coming," Professor Sada greets.

Before we can ask anything, the fierce Koraidon and Miraidon appear, and our Koraidon and Miraidon are scared as they hide behind us.

"No. Back to your ball," Professor Turo commands, and both Professors take out their Master Balls and recall them.

"Those two are far less tractable and far more aggressive than the ones you've traveled with," Professor Sada notes with a sigh. "Your Koraidon and Miraidon fled Area Zero because they lost to the other ones in a territorial struggle."

"I knew it..." I sigh, remembering the Goomy incident back in Kalos, and both Pokémon frown at the same time.

Professor Turo continues, "I'm afraid there is something for which we must apologize. We're not the true Professor Turo and Professor Sada."

Serena asks, "What are you talking about? I mean... if you're not Professor Sada and Professor Turo, then who are you?"

"We are artificial intelligence the Professors created, imbued with their memories and knowledge. In short, we are AI-powered robots," Professor Sada reveals, and both professors' eyes continue to blink with their respective colors.

"The real professors passed away during the incident that destroyed Research Station No. 4," Professor Turo solemnly shares.

"I knew it... those bodies that we found back at Station No. 4 were the bodies of Professor Sada and Turo..." I mutter, my heart heavy with the revelation.

"You knew this and you didn't tell either of us?" my Mom asks me with shock.

"The Paradox Pokemon were not to be blamed. It was the original professors who failed to accurately judge their full power," Professor Sada explains.

"We believe the professors wanted nothing more than for the Koraidon and Miraidon to survive and thrive. That's why they threw themselves in front of your Koraidon and Miraidon in an attempt to protect them," Professor Turo adds.

"From the time we first reached out to Director Clavell and asked to be put in contact with you... we were never more than AIs," Professor Sada frowns.

So that's why we couldn't contact them since the very beginning... they were robots...

"Ash and Serena, the reason we asked you to come to us is that we have one last thing to do here at the Zero Lab, and we desire your help," Professor Turo says.

"In short... we wish for you to put a stop to the time machine the original professors created," Professor Sada adds.

"What?" We exclaim in shock.

"Any questions can be addressed as we make our descent. Follow us," Professor Turo instructs.

We follow the Professors to the elevator, and my Dad remarks, "AI-powered robots... that sure is something interesting."

"I know..." I reply. "But I feel sorry for Arven... if he learns that his parents were dead..."

We step inside the elevator, which actually takes us down to the lower level.