Chapter 72

Now with Reisa accompanying us at the Casscarafa Gym, she questions, "Whose idea is it that the Water gym is in the desert area?"

Serena explains, "Well, the gym challenge is back at Porto Marina, and we have to do some auctions to get the food that Kofu wants. It was interesting."

Alice adds, "I remember that Katy said her teacher is Kofu, so that's the same person?"

"Yeah," I confirm as we enter the gym and find the man there. I greet him, "Heya! Step right up! Welcome to the Casscarafa Gym!"

When he notices us, he exclaims, "Vaultin' Veluza! Look who it is! I was expectin' someone else!"

Serena inquires, "La Primera?"

"Aha! I see! Ms. Geeta put you up to this, did she? It feels like just yesterday that you were out collectin' yer badges, and now look at ya—already Champion Rank! You're like one o' those fish Pokémon that completely changes shape and name as it evolves! All full o' life. What a great catch! And now this! Our promising up-and-comer, here to test my abilities! Don't worry—this ol' man's used to facin' harsh reviewers. Part o' the restaurant business."

Lillie remarks, "He sure is an interesting guy..." with a sweatdrop.

Kofu then invites us, "All righty, then. You ready to battle this ol' man and see if he's still fit to be called Gym Leader?"

Serena agrees, "Sure, I'll battle you."

"That's what I like to hear! Right this way!" Kofu says as he leads us to the battlefield.

At the battlefield in the middle of the city, Kofu expresses his gratitude, saying, "Ever since ya fought for that choice seaweed for me, all my dishes usin' it have been big hits! Thanks for that! Guess it's no surprise you did so well—what with bein' worthy of Champion Rank!"

I acknowledge his thanks with a simple, "No problem..."

He then shifts his attention to Serena, reflecting, "Goodness gracious, but do I ever meet all kinds of people while doin' this job. I've seen people like yerself who run full speed ahead like a ragin' river, and plenty o' people who settle down like a calm lake. We older folk tend to prefer the latter, o' course, but this ol' man himself finds that a bit dull."

As he prepares for our battle, he declares, "Rivers flow into the ocean. That water then climbs up into the clouds an' becomes rain. I am Kofu the Torrent! Ever changin'—just like water! Now come see what I'm made of!"

Kofu fields a team consisting of Pelipper, Veluza, Feraligatr, Wugtrio, Clawitzer, and Crabominable. We're a bit surprised to see a Gym Leader using a Starter Pokémon for the battle, but it certainly fits the Water type theme of his gym. Serena manages to defeat all six Pokémon with ease.

Impressed, Kofu comments, "You really put the pressure on! Guess I should've expected no less from someone with La Primera's seal of approval! What a catch!"

He goes on to reflect, "The wildest currents—for better or worse—pull in everythin' around 'em and have really wild and drastic effects on their surroundin's! That makes those friends o' yours who stay by your side all the more important."

With a sigh, he continues, "Phew! Your youthful vigor's got my motivation flowin' up like a rising tide! Next time you see Ms. Geeta, tell 'er that ol' man Kofu's flowin' and crashin' more than ever! Don't forget to tell 'er, young friend! And you come back to see me again, now, ya hear?"

We nod as Kofu heads back to his restaurant. Reisa then brings up a different topic, asking, "Well, that is an excellent job. That reminds me, Ash. How are your contests in Paldea going?"