Chapter 83

After arriving at the classroom, Ms. Briar is taken aback by the increasing number of students joining us. The room seems to fill up quickly, and she can't help but voice her surprise, "Thank you all for coming. Though isn't it a bit too many people?"

"Well, they are my friends and they are helpful. The more the merrier," I respond, my gaze sweeping across the growing crowd. "So what do you ask us to be here for?"

"I'm pleased to inform you that some very special guests are here to see you today. They left for a tour of the school mere minutes ago, but I believe they'll return soon enough. In the meantime, I'll fill you all in on the situation. Please have a seat," Ms. Briar says, gesturing towards the available chairs.

"Don't mind if I do. These knees are creakin'," Drayton grumbles good-naturedly, struggling to find a seat. Carmine can't resist a jab, muttering, "Oh please. You're not old enough for that yet!"

As we are taking our seats, Briar's attention turns to me, and she remarks, "Ah, Ash! I'd heard you were busy battling your way up the BB League... But to think you'd make it as far as Champion! What a dazzling accomplishment!"

"Thanks, I guess..." I reply, exchanging a glance with Kieran, who lowers his head again. Carmine, ever perceptive, notices the tension and quickly interjects, "Sorry, Ms. Briar, but could we leave all that for another time? What's this thing you wanted to tell us about?"

Briar notices Kieran's feelings and her expression takes on a more somber note. "My apologies... That was insensitive of me. Let me get straight to today's topic, then. I want all of you here to join me...on an expedition to the secluded and mysterious Area Zero!"

"Area Zero?! That's that place in Paldea you wanted to visit, right? You got permission?!" Carmine's curiosity is piqued.

As for us, we can't help but slightly frown, memories of our previous encounter in that place not being particularly pleasant. Briar continues, undeterred, "My main goals are to investigate the Terastal phenomenon and to gather samples of the crystals present in the crater. But to be honest, I also have one more ambition for this trip. I'm hoping that we can find Terapagos, the Legendary Pokémon slumbering in Area Zero!"

"...Terapagos? A Legendary Pokemon?" Kieran's interest is suddenly sparked.

"A rather exciting idea, isn't it?" To our surprise, the Paldea Top Champion Geeta and the Elite Four member Rika walk into the room. Briar says, "There you are, Geeta! I was just getting the kids up to speed."

"I do apologize for my tardiness," Geeta states upon entering the room.

"La Primera?!" I exclaim, taken aback by her unexpected presence. She then notices us and remarks, "Hm? Champion Ash and Champion Serena? I certainly didn't expect to run into you here... And I also see some recognizable faces as well."

"It's nice to see you again..." Serena greets her.

"Ah, of course. You must be participating in the student exchange program," Geeta acknowledges.

"Ash just got crowned our new BB League Champion, too," Drayton announces proudly.

"Your talent is as brilliant as always, I see. Truly a wonderful thing. If you'll be going along, then I suppose that bodes well..." Geeta smiles before turning to Briar, "Is it all right if I explain the situation to the children, Briar?"

"By all means," Briar nods.

Geeta takes a moment to compose herself before she begins, her voice carrying the weight of authority. "First, Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Geeta. I am the chairwoman of the Pokemon League in Paldea. More than a decade ago, the Pokemon League provided substantial support for extensive research on Area Zero - the great crater at the center of Paldea. Once that research was complete, we shifted our duties to monitoring and managing the area."