Chapter 20

Before heading to the gym, we decide to check the Rotom Phone for information about Iono, the Electric-type Gym Leader.

"This Electric-type user and hit streamer is adored by the young. Her viewers' reactions are more important to her than victory in battle, and her Gym Test is one-of-a-kind. Be ready for anything!"

"One of a kind? I wonder what that means," I say as we make our way to the gym's reception desk.

The gym staff welcomes us to the Levincia Gym and proceeds to register me as a challenger. "Welcome to the Levincia Gym! Let me register you as a challenger. Your name is Ash Ketchum, yes?"

I nod in confirmation as the Rotom Phone facilitates the registration process.

"Great! Now, in order to face Gym Leader Iono, you'll first need to pass the Gym test. Here at the Levincia Gym, that means starring in one of Iono's streams!" the staff explains.

I'm surprised by this revelation and ask, "Wait, we're going to be a part of the streams?"

"Iono's a streamer as well as a Gym Leader, so we want you to dazzle her audience with your skills and rack up those subscriptions! Just head outside, and you'll soon find out what you need to do. Now head out there and have fun!" the staff encourages us.

Golly comments, "That's cool, to be able to take part in the stream..."

Serena adds, "I guess I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow..."

As we step outside of the gym building, we're taken aback by the presence of numerous cameras and equipment. In front of us, a person operates a laptop, and a voice fills the air, announcing, "Ladies aaand gentlemens! It's time for the Iono Zone!"

Lucine quickly opens the Rotom Phone, realizing we're live on screen, and remarks, "Hey! It's us! We're on screen..."

Drandon suggests, "Maybe we should get out of here since Ash is the one doing the mission right now," prompting the others to leave the scene, leaving me alone.

Inside the Rotom Phone, Iono appears on the screen, occupying the bottom left corner of the stream. She introduces herself, saying, "Hey, hey, heyyy! Your eyeballs are MINE—caught in my Electroweb! Whosawhatsit? Iono! I'm the Gym Leader here! 'Ello, 'ello, hola! Ciao and bonjour!"

"The Gym Leader?" I wonder aloud, unable to see her in person.

"Indeedy-doo! I kick it as Gym Leader when I'm not producin' sweet content on the internet as an influencer to bring dreams to the masses!" Iono declares. "And, uh...I hope this doesn't come as too much of a surprise, but you're bein' broadcast live to the world right now! Smile!"

I offer a slight smile, acknowledging the situation.

Iono continues with enthusiasm, "Anywho, the famous Ash Ketchum! Thanks for coming out to the Levincia Gym to see me! I'm super happy you're here, but I'm also a bit of a celeb, ya know? I'm all kiiinds of busy! So I can't collab with you unless I know you can bring in those sweet, sweet viewer numb— Er, I mean, I gotta make sure you can bring some real passion to my stream! Nyohoho!"

I raise an eyebrow at her comment, slightly taken aback by her skepticism. Did she just doubt my ability to attract viewers?

"And! So! If you wanna battle me, you're gonna have to help me make this Livestream a viral hit first! Got it? I can tell you just can't wait to get started! Well, well, WELL then! Allow me to explain the plan! Come on out, Mr. Walksabout!"

As I turn around, my eyes widen in surprise. Director Clavell is standing right in front of me. Is this guy seriously stalking me? He appeared last week as Clive, and now he's here again?