Chapter 29

The next morning, we all gather outside of the Community Center, ready to start our day. Briar greets everyone with a smile and asks about our rest, saying, "Morning, everyone! Did you sleep well? Starting today, you'll be joined by our four students from Blueberry Academy. Go on, kids! Time to introduce yourselves."

Carmine and Kieran step forward to introduce themselves. Carmine exclaims, "Hi! I'm Carmine! It's a pleasure to meet all you outsiders—I mean, visitors from Paldea! Hee hee!"

Kieran, on the other hand, is more reserved, mumbling, "I-I'm...Kieran..."

When it's our turn to introduce ourselves, both Carmine and Kieran display expressions of shock, likely recognizing me as the Unova Champion from three years ago. The caretaker adds, "Carmine and Kieran actually grew up here, so ask them for help if you need anything."

He turns to the two, saying, "And you two better be of genuine assistance, understood?"

Carmine responds with a casual, "Aye-aye," not seeming particularly attentive.

Kieran stutters again, saying, "R-right..."

The caretaker proceeds to explain the plan for the school trip, outlining the orienteering exercise. "Now that that's settled... Why don't I tell you all a bit about what we have planned for you?" The caretaker says, "This school trip of yours will be an exercise in orienteering! First, we'll have you split into pairs. Then each pair will be tasked with finding three signboards located around the land of Kitakami. On each signboard, you'll find snippets of an old folktale passed down here in Kitakami. Read them all and learn a bit about our home. To prove you've completed the task, we ask that each pair take a snapshot together in front of these signboards with their phone or camera. Take a photo together in front of each of the three signboards to complete your mission! It's a self-guided tour of Kitakami! Learn all about its rich history!"

He then turns to Briar and quips, "Much more fun than sitting around and listening to me ramble on and on, eh?"

Briar responds positively, saying, "Wonderful! What an innovative idea for a group activity!" It's clear that she's enthusiastic about the plan.

The caretaker announces, "Oh, and I've got a gift for each of you as well!" He distributes Roto-Sticks, which are essentially selfie sticks, to each of us. He explains, "I hear these things're all the rage in the big cities. Use them when you take those photos! I'll even teach you a rad pose I came up with all on my own."

As he demonstrates the pose, we can't help but be taken aback, leaving us momentarily speechless. Briar, with a touch of sarcasm, adds, "Ah, yes. Real...rad..."

However, she quickly redirects our attention and reminds us, "Remember that one of the goals of this trip is to deepen the ties between our two schools. It seems like having someone who knows the area well would be a big help. That being said... Let's try to maximize the number of interschool pairs, OK? Time to mingle!"

Given the opportunity to choose a Blueberry Academy student as our partner, I'm also intrigued by the prospect of teaming up with someone unfamiliar from their group, despite my close friendship with Alice.

Carmine suddenly recognizes me and exclaims, "Ash Ketchum, the Unova Champion, right?"

I reply casually, "That's me. What's it to you?"

With a smirk, she continues, "Let me guess—you want to pair up with one of us poor, lonely Blueberry students?"

I respond with a friendly tone, "Well, only if you're up for it. I wouldn't want to force anyone into it."

"Gosh, it's so sweet of you to go out of your way like that. What would we ever do without you?" Carmine smiles warmly. "Oh yeah. So my little brother here has been all googly-eyed over you since you won that Unova League. He wouldn't stop talking about you—even at home. I seriously couldn't get him to shut up."