Chapter 52

Today, we have the final class for Biology, and Professor Jacq begins, "Hello, hello. I hope everyone's ready to learn some new things today! Next time we meet, we'll have our final exam. That means today is our last actual class."

This causes a slight groan from the students, and Professor Jacq continues, "And the topic for this last class will be...Pokémon forms! You can just think of forms as the shapes or appearances that Pokémon have. There's also a phenomenon called a form change, where a Pokémon's appearance changes under certain conditions. Cyclizar, for example, which we regularly ride on as transportation here in Paldea, has three forms. First is its basic form, where it walks on four legs. Second is its battle form, where it stands on its hind legs to engage in battle. Finally, there's its ride form, where it inflates its throat sac and its tail so we can ride on its back."

The revelation that Cyclizar has forms surprises the class, and Professor Jacq continues, "Though we can use something you're all carrying with you now as an even better example! Yup, I'm talking about your phones! Some smartphones are inhabited by a certain Pokémon. Does anyone know the Pokémon I'm referring to?"

I raise my hand and answer, "Rotom?"

"You're a regular expert on Pokémon AND technology, aren't you, Florian! The Pokémon inside your smartphone is Rotom, and it does all sorts of things to help you out. A Rotom inside a Rotom Phone is special, so it doesn't try to enter other electronics. An ordinary Rotom, however, can change form by entering washing machines, microwave ovens, and other electronic appliances. Rotom is a bit of an exception, though. Many Pokémon that change form do so simply by holding an item or by having one used on them."

Professor Jacq goes on to explain further, "Oricorio, for example, has four different forms it can change between when given certain nectars. Pokémon may even change type or learn different moves when they change form. Form changes are different from Evolution in that the Pokémon can return to its original form. And unlike Shiny Pokémon, which can't change their special coloration, the same individual Pokémon can go back and forth between its forms. There's a lot to dig into with this form change phenomenon, as you can see!"

Form changes turn out to be quite fascinating, and I can't help but think about all the possibilities and strategies that come with it. "We can all learn something from Pokémon here, don't you think? Bit of a stretch, but... I'd be happy to see you all enjoy your time at the academy to the fullest...and change form into a new version of yourselves! Or something like that, anyway!"

"Oh! I almost forgot! Regional forms, which vary based on what region a Pokémon came from, don't change like other forms. They're an innate—" Before he can continue about regional forms, the bell rings, signaling the end of the class. Professor Jacq laughs it off, saying, "Whoops. Heh...there's the bell. I guess I was scatterbrained Mr. Jacq right up to the very end, huh? I had a great time teaching all of you. I hope you'll do your best on the final exam!"

After class, I turn to Alice and ask, "That reminds me, since you come here while we're doing final exams, that means you're going to do the same thing for us, right?"

Alice responds, "Well, ours is quite special; we have online final exams. So we are still going to do the Blueberry Academy's final exams but online."

"That's interesting," Drandon remarks, nodding in understanding. It's clear that our schools have different approaches to final exams, but it's all part of the unique experiences we're gaining from our respective academies.

In the hushed lecture hall of Professor Tyme's math class, the anticipation is palpable as the renowned professor takes the stage. His energetic voice fills the room, drawing the attention of every student.