Chapter 37

As the eight of us bring Ogerpon back to the Dreaded Den, Carmine remarks, "Well, here we are!"

Ogerpon appears happy to return to her home, and Alice observes, "It's a bit lonely out here, but I guess this place must mean a lot to Ogerpon."

I take a deep breath and say, "Ogerpon, I think this is farewell."

Ogerpon looks at me with a frown, and it's evident that she doesn't want us to leave. Suddenly, she rushes toward us and exclaims, "No... I don't want you to leave... you are my saviors... you're the reason why my bad name has been cleared..."

Golly suggests, "Hey, you know what? I think Ogerpon might want to go with you, Ash."

I'm surprised by the unexpected proposition and ask, "Really? Ogerpon?"

Ogerpon jumps up and down with excitement. Just then, Kieran's voice cuts through the moment, "Hey, hold up!"

We all turn to Kieran, confusion evident on our faces. He hesitates for a moment before finally confessing, "If it's not gonna stay here, then I... I wanna..." After taking a deep breath, he boldly declares, "I want Ogerpon to come with me!"

The stunned silence lingers as Carmine is the first to speak, addressing Kieran with a soft tone, "Kiki..."

Kieran, determined and perhaps feeling a sense of desperation, insists, "I know I'm bein' real selfish... But, Ash! Please! Let me battle you! I want to see which one of us should get to keep Ogerpon with them!" His declaration catches me by surprise, and I can see the conflict in his eyes.

Carmine chimes in, trying to appeal to his emotions, "Hey, Kiki... I know you really love Ogerpon. I really, honestly understand. But...you have to think about Ogerpon's feelings too."

Kieran, despite Carmine's plea, mutters, "...I want to battle anyway." Ogerpon, still unsure about what's happening, looks at us with a mix of confusion and concern.

With a sigh, I finally respond, "Sure, I can have a battle with you." The decision is made, and it seems that a battle will determine who gets to keep Ogerpon.

As the battle for Ogerpon's partnership begins, Kieran emphasizes, "Whoever wins gets to be Ogerpon's partner... So don't...don't you dare hold back!" This time, it's a full six-on-six battle, and the stakes are high.

Kieran chooses to send out his Shiftry first, while I decide to go with Lokix.

Kieran hesitates, clearly struggling with his decision, and mutters, "I know you're probably a better Trainer for Ogerpon, but I...I..." His thoughts remain unspoken as he directs Shiftry to use Fake Out, causing Lokix to flinch. Shiftry follows up with Tailwind, setting up its next moves.

Recognizing the strategic use of Fake Out, which would have disrupted my planned First Impression move, I decide to have Lokix retaliate with Bounce. The move lands a super-effective hit on Shiftry, and it also leaves Shiftry paralyzed. Shiftry takes a Leaf Blade attack in return, but Lokix's Lunge proves to be the decisive blow, defeating Shiftry.

Kieran sends out his Yanmega as his second Pokemon, and it immediately launches into the offensive, using Bug Buzz. The powerful Bug-type move strikes Lokix, causing significant damage. Kieran's Yanmega isn't done yet, and it follows up with Ancient Power. The attack lands a critical hit, further weakening Lokix. The battle is taking a toll on both sides. Despite Lokix's valiant efforts, it ultimately succumbs to the relentless attacks, unable to withstand Yanmega's onslaught. Lokix is knocked out of the battle.

I decide to send out Glimmet as my next Pokemon, hoping to turn the tide in my favor. Glimmet takes a hit from Yanmega's super-effective Psychic move but remains standing. The Toxic Spikes scattered on the ground due to Glimmet's ability, Toxic Debris, begin to take effect, adding a layer of complexity to the battle. With determination, I command Glimmet to use Power Gem. Despite being slower than Yanmega, Glimmet's Power Gem hits its mark and manages to knock Yanmega out of the battle, leveling the playing field once again.