Chapter 66

Now Serena and I are walking at the top of the Pokemon League Building, where the final battle is held. Chairwoman Geeta is waiting for us, and she smiles, "Welcome, Ash and Serena. It gives me great joy that you've managed to make it all the way to the pinnacle of the Pokemon League. The final test is a battle against me, the Top Champion. To pass, all you need to do... is win."

Serena and I nod as Serena decides to take a step back and let me battle her. "But before we get started, I should apologize for one thing. You see, I have a trait that some might say is inappropriate for the League Chairwoman... I am utterly incapable of holding back when it comes to Pokemon battles. Maybe that's why nobody's passed this test recently. It's a bit of a problem, to be honest."

"That's fine for me," I say with a smile.

"But you... You might manage something wonderful like Champion Nemona did," Chairwoman Geeta says. "So are you ready for your final test? I want to see the true measure of your talent!"

"You bet," I say as my Pokemon is being pumped up.

"Good," Chairwoman Geeta says, "You know, how about the both of you have a double battle against me instead of doing two full battles in a row?"

"You can just do that?" Serena asks.

"Of course, since you two are always together, I want to see how you two cope with each other against me," Chairwoman Geeta says, "Each of you will be using three Pokemon against my six Pokemon."

I look at Serena, who nods at me. "We're ready," we say in unison.

Chairwoman Geeta sends out two Pokemon: Espathra and Gogoat. I decide to go with Skeledirge while Serena goes with Meowscarada.

"I do hope the two of you can defeat me and become Champions yourselves," Chairwoman Geeta says.

"You bet. Skeledirge, use Torch Song!" Skeledirge shoots out the firebird at Gogoat, but Chairwoman Geeta has Espathra reflect it with Lumina Crash.

"Bulk Up!" Chairwoman Geeta yells as Gogoat's stats are raised, and it goes for Play Rough on Meowscarada. Serena clicks her tongue and says, "Damn it..."

She commands Meowscarada to use Night Slash on Espathra, but Espathra uses Reflect to reduce the damage.

Serena says, "Meowscarada, use Grassy Terrain!" Meowscarada sets up the field so that all of our Pokemon can recover their health, and she decides to switch Meowscarada to Lokix by using U-Turn on Espathra.

"Now it is our chance! Skeledirge! Overheat on Gogoat!" I yell.

With the boost of the Torch Song, the attack deals a lot of damage to Gogoat and knocks it out. Chairwoman Geeta recalls her Pokemon and says, "Looks like you managed to defeat one, there are five to go."

Chairwoman Geeta sends out her third Pokemon: Veluza, a Water-type. I mutter, "Great... A Water Type Pokemon... not good for Skeledirge."

"Well, I just hope that we can overcome this challenge," Serena says.

"Since Lokix is Dark and Bug Type, I'll leave Veluza to you, and I'll deal with Espathra," I decide. "We've got the type advantage, so let's make it count."

"Okay, let's focus on the battle. She is the Top Champion for a reason, and we're not going to lose this battle," Serena says with determination.

"Skeledirge! Torch Song!" I yell, and Skeledirge launches the fiery attack, hitting Espathra and raising its Special Attack.

"Lokix! Lunge!" Serena commands, and Lokix lunges forward with a Bug-type attack, landing a hit on Veluza. Veluza retaliates with Aqua Jet, while Espathra uses Dazzling Gleam. Lokix takes some damage, but I have Skeledirge use Shadow Ball, eventually knocking out Espathra.