Chapter 43

We finally arrive at Medali City after walking through West Province Area 2 and then 3. Excitement fills the air as we can't wait to challenge the gym. But before heading straight to the gym, we take a moment to check the Rotom Phone for information on the Gym Leader.

The phone's description reads, "This Normal-type user is in the middle of the pack when it comes to Gym Leaders. He has a day job helping run the Pokemon League, where he is not the best-rated worker. He loves to eat."

"That description is rather... 'normal,'" Golly says with a grin, delivering a pun that elicits a collective eye-roll from the rest of us.

As we step into the gym, we notice Nemona rushing inside as well.

"Heeey, guys!" Nemona greets us, a cheerful smile on her face. "I saw you going into the Gym and came running! Listen, I'm really sorry I couldn't battle you last time we ran into each other."

"So you're here just to battle me again?" I inquire.

"Wait - don't get me wrong!" Nemona's expression turns slightly sheepish. "I didn't chase you down just to battle you! Then again... I guess I wouldn't MIND a battle or anything if you want to... What do you say?"

"Let's just get things over with," I say, eager to continue our friendly rivalry.

"Yesss! Battle tiiime! You and me, Ash!" Nemona cheers enthusiastically, her energy infectious. But then, she suddenly seems to have second thoughts. "Wait, hold on... I wanna be sure to pick the right Pokemon for where you're at in your journey. Sorry, gimme a sec to fine-tune my team! Then we can battle! In fact, while you're waiting, go ahead and take on the Gym!"

With that, she rushes out of the gym, leaving us momentarily puzzled.

"Really? That's it?" I mutter.

Serena chimes in, "Maybe we should make the most of our time and tackle the Gym while she gets ready..."

When we approach the counter, I decide to let Serena go first. The staff smiles and says, "Welcome to the Medali Gym! Let me register you as a challenger. Your name is Serena, yes?"

"Of course," Serena responds, allowing the Rotom Phone to register her ID and the necessary applications. The staff continues, "Great! Now, in order to face Gym Leader Larry, you'll first need to pass the Gym Test. Here at the Medali Gym, that means ordering a special secret menu item! Specifically, a menu item at the Treasure Eatery, a much-loved restaurant here in Medali. Order correctly, and you pass!"

"That sounds pretty straightforward," Serena remarks. "So, how do I find out about the special secret menu item?"

"Right now, there are three other challengers around town attempting this Gym Test. Each Challenger has been given a different clue that'll help them discover the secret dish. You'll be given a clue as well! Please find and battle the other challengers. The loser must tell the winner their clue! Your goal is to gather clues and use them to determine the secret dish, then order it from the waiter at the Treasure Eatery. Only the challenger who's able to order correctly will pass the test!"

"So, I'll be battling three other trainers, and what's the clue I have if I lose?" Serena asks.

"Your clue is to find out how the regulars season their dishes. I'd suggest you start by hearing what a regular at the Treasure Eatery has to say!" The staff provides Serena with her clue.

"Well, that doesn't sound very hard at all," I comment, and Pikachu nods in agreement.

"I think I should go challenge the trainers first before getting my clue," Serena decides as we all head outside into the city to find the other challengers.