Chapter 51

As we wait at the battlefield, we suddenly hear a voice, "I suppose you're right, OK, I'll get things moving here on my end."

Turning around, we find the gym leader Tulip on the phone, discussing cosmetics. "Let's keep the tagline simple - 'Naturally Beautiful.' And order the new eye-shadow color too, would you?"

"Mom!" Daniel sighs, well aware of how busy she is. Tulip also notices us and swiftly ends the call. "Thanks, you're a doll. Gotta run now. Chat with you later."

Tulip then turns her attention to us and greets us with a warm smile.

Tulip smiles at Daniel and says, "Daniel, I know that you've been at Narauva Academy as an exchange student. I never thought you'd come back home so soon."

"Yeah, Mom. I mean, Ash and Serena are here for the gym battle, and as friends, it's essential to come and watch the matches," Daniel replies.

Tulip then turns to greet the rest of us and says, "And hello there to you all. Even though there's no need for introductions, it's part of the formality. I'm Tulip, the Gym Leader here. Though I must tell you that being a makeup artist is my main line of work. Why don't you say that we work together in the future? Serena?"

"I'll definitely consider it," Serena smiles.

"Dendra had nothing but praise for you. She said you totally slayed out there," Tulip says with a chuckle. "Hehe. I must say, you're a cute challenger, Serena. I'm sure my ESP exercise made you all the more beautiful. Doesn't that make you happy?"

"Well, it was fun, I guess," Serena nods, returning the smile.

Tulip admires our Pikachu and remarks, "You keep your Pokémon beautiful and clean as well. I see you have quite the aesthetic sense. Appearance is equally important for both people and Pokémon."

With the trainers now at their respective sides, the referee announces that it's a four-on-four battle. Tulip introduces her first Pokémon, saying, "Makeup is like magic. Anyone can use it to change their appearance. Allow me to put my skills to use to make your cute little Pokémon even more beautiful! Let's see how you handle Farigiraf!"

When Farigiraf appears, Serena responds confidently, "Farigiraf? In that case, I'll go with Mabosstiff!"

The battle kicks off with Tulip deciding her first move, saying, "You're quite a good base to test my makeup magic on. What shall I use on you? I think I know. Use Iron Head!"

Using a Steel-type move right from the beginning, Farigiraf deals a considerable amount of damage to Mabosstiff. Serena, however, smirks and counters, "Comeuppance!"

The attack proves effective, as Mabosstiff manages to hit Farigiraf with a super-effective move. Farigiraf responds by using Reflect to raise its defenses and goes for a Crunch, but Mabosstiff skillfully blocks it with Reversal.

Alice remarks, "Serena is doing well in this gym..."

The girls then notice that Professor Dendra is also watching the battle and Serena gulps nervously as she sees her teacher observing her.

Serena decides on her next move, shouting, "Use Jaw Lock!" This time, Farigiraf attempts an Iron Head, causing Mabosstiff to flinch momentarily. Nevertheless, Mabosstiff recovers and successfully executes Jaw Lock, resulting in Farigiraf's defeat.

"Now let's see if my Gardevoir can give you some trouble," Tulip sends out her second Pokémon, a Gardevoir, causing Serena to click her tongue in frustration due to its Fairy typing. She has Mabosstiff use Swagger in an attempt to confuse Gardevoir, but Gardevoir responds with a powerful Dazzling Gleam, swiftly knocking out Mabosstiff.