Chapter 27

As we walk back to Casarrafa City, we decide to check out Kofu. "This Water-type user is a good fit for those with battle experience. He is the chef and owner of the Kofu Lounge, and his zeal for helping Trainers grow has led him to craft a taxing Gym Test."

"I'm not sure if our gym test from before is taxing..." I mutter.

Back at the Gym, we are surprised to see Professor Hassel with a woman by his side. Their unexpected presence catches us off guard, and we exchange astonished glances.

"Professor Hassel?" we both exclaim in shock.

"Well, now! Ash and Serena! I see that you two appear to be progressing well on your Gym circuit," Hassel says warmly, his smile reflecting his genuine pride in our journey.

The woman accompanying him steps forward, her enthusiastic demeanor matching her vibrant appearance. "What's this now? Are these the kids we've been hearing so much about?" She directs her attention towards me. "Hey, kiddo! I heard you're, like, way too good at battling! Yeah? You are the 8-region Champion for a reason after all."

A faint blush tinges on my cheeks as I respond, trying to downplay my accomplishments. "Well, I... I wasn't really that good."

The woman laughs heartily, dismissing my modesty with a wave of her hand. "Pah! You can't fool me that easily. No need to play humble, you hear?"

"This young lady would be Rika," Professor Hassel says, introducing her to us with a warm smile.

"That's me! Rika here, at your service," Rika chirps, giving us a friendly wave.

Hassel adds with a hint of amusement, "She's a little... farcical, shall we say. But like myself, she's a member of the Elite Four."

Rika, seemingly caught off guard by Hassel's description, mutters, "What? I wasn't tryin' to be funny..."

As we exchange greetings, Rika's unique personality and Professor Hassel's joviality start to make sense. We can't help but feel intrigued by this unexpected encounter. Rika breaks the silence, her curiosity piqued.

"Anyway... Hmm. Tell you something, kiddos - you look fun. Like, interesting. At a glance, anyway."

Hassel chimes in with a touch of pride, "Naturally, they are two of our academy's esteemed students, all two of them get As in their mid-term exams."

"Oooh, haha. Yeah, that checks out," I reply with a sheepish grin. It's slightly embarrassing for both of us to receive such high praise from the Professor.

Rika continues with a note of caution, "But the battles you'll face at these Gyms really ratchet up the farther you go."

"Indeed," Hassel agrees, his expression thoughtful. "Your average Trainer abandons the challenge at roughly this very point."

"But not you, right, kiddos?" Rika says, a glint of encouragement in her eyes. "See you when you hit the Champion Assessment. You show these Gyms what you've got!"

With that, Rika takes her leave, leaving us with a sense of determination and anticipation. Hassel offers his well-wishes as well, saying, "Best of fortunes to you."

After Professor Hassel departs, Drandon chimes in, "Wow, being held in such high regard by Professor Hassel is something else."

Serena adds, "And that woman as well. I wonder what type she specializes in..."

I approach the gym counter, where the staff recognizes me immediately. They greet me with enthusiasm, saying, "Ash Ketchum! I heard you reunited Kofu with his wallet! I can't thank you enough. Though this is a little irregular, please consider your Gym Test passed! Our Surging Chef Kofu will be at the center plaza of Cascarrafa."