S E V E N T Y - E I G H T

Start from the beginning

"I didn't say I was, I said I'll be fine, there's a difference," I say. I place my hand a few inches away from my mouth and blow. "Gross," I groan, "either of you have gum ?" I ask.

"You look sick," Ivone says digging a gum from her purse.

"Ivone," Fernanda says in a warning tone, "do you want us to get João ?"

"I'd rather not see him now," I say, silently thanking Ivone for the gum and popping it in my mouth.

"Trouble in paradise ?" Ivone asks.

"Can I borrow your phone ?" I ask ignoring her question, "either of you, I'm extremely desperate."

"I'm sorry," Fernanda says forcing a smile.

"We're on strict orders not to let you," Ivone says, "what'd you do ?"

"Nothing," I shrug, "a loophole, one of you look my name up on twitter and tell me what's being said."

"Sofia, no," Fernanda says.

"I know you hate me, you must be relishing in this," I scoff looking at Ivone. "Name your price, I'll double it."

"I don't hate you," she sighs, "and no, I'm not relishing in you driving yourself crazy. Sofia, get a grip."

"Ivone," Fernanda warns again.

"I'm being honest, she already knows what this is about," Ivone states. Hayes. I swear I'll kill him. "João's not trying to be an asshole and you know it," she tells me, "he's trying to protect you, stop fighting it and enjoy the night."

I push past her rushing back out to where João is dancing with his friends. "Phone, now," I grit.

"Where'd you get gum ?" He asks trying to change the subject.

"What the hell is he saying about me now ?" I whisper.

"Thanks guys," he mumbles to the girls who are behind me.

"Sorry," Fer mumbles.

"One dance," he says raising his index finger, "one dance and I'll give it back, I swear."

I sigh, "you don't even know how to dance."

"You taught me," he smirks, "you questioning your skills as a teacher ?"

"One dance," I sigh giving in.

They begin playing a slow song and he pulls me close wrapping his arms around me. I release a breath, feeling safe in his embrace and wrap my arms around his neck. We sway for what feels like forever, two songs, to be exact, he didn't let me go after the first and I didn't want him to, if I'm being honest.

"As promised," he says reaching into his pocket for my phone as he pulls away. It rings in his hand as he hands it over. I check the caller ID, but it's not a number I don't recognize.

"Hello," I say taking the call walking to the restrooms again.

"Hi, I have a missed call from this number," the woman on the other side states.