T W E L V E

I was awoken by a loud bang on the door, I got out of bed to check what it was.

"Practice in 30," Ruben says as I open the door. I groan and go unplug my phone from Coopers charger. I shoot him a quick text letting him know I left to practice. I walked out of his room and headed to mine to brush my teeth and braid my hair. I walked into the room to find João asleep on my bed and Cris asleep on his. I ignore the boys and walk into the restroom to do what I got to do and get dressed as well.

"Wake up, practice in 15," I tell João as I shake him.

"Fuck," he said as he rolled out of bed and went towards his room.

"Do you want me to wait for you ?" I asked leaning on the doorframe of the door separating the rooms.

"Please," he said as he stepped into the bathroom.

I went to lay down on his bed as I scrolled through Twitter. João was back out in about 5 minutes and we headed down to Portugal's designated practice area in an awkward silence. Once we arrived, we greeted everyone and got to warming up. We're having a light practice to start off the World Cup and then play a friendly.

We picked teams and surprise surprise João and I were on the same team. I feel like in other circumstances, we'd play well together, but the kiss has my head spinning, like I know it wasn't much, but still, we kissed. We haven't talked about it either so I don't know how he's feeling or where his head is at. We step onto the field for the first half of the game.

"Oh god, I've never been this frustrated in a game," I huff, "just pass the ball to me."

We're about 25-30 minutes into the first half give or take and we have been playing like this sport was explained to us 15 minutes before the game. They finally pass the ball to me after my comment and I try to score but miss. The ball is quickly recovered by our team and it's passed to me once again, I try to score with no luck again.

"You've lost your touch dos Santos," Bruno says and I huff. Coach calls time and I hurry off the field annoyed.

"15 minutes," someone shouts as I rush towards the bathrooms. I splash some water on my face, wash my hands and head out again. I bumped into João as I walked out and had every intention of avoiding him like the plague and getting to the rest of the players. João looked around for a second, reached for my arm and pulled me back.

"Wha-" before I could even say anything, he crashed his lips onto mine and I melted into the kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck and ran my fingers through his hair as his wrapped around my waist. We quickly pulled back breathing heavily. He looks around again and smiles at me.

"Sorry," he says.

"I kinda needed that actually," I say, "hopefully this awkward tension disappears."

"That was my hope," he smiles, "your dad didn't see, did he ?"

"Is that why you keep looking around ?" I ask lightly laughing.

"Yeah," he laughs as we start walking back to the field.

"I think you're good," I say.

"Where's your head at ?" My dad asks as we approach the players on the bench, "because it's not on the field."

"Oh give me a break," I huff, "I haven't stepped onto the field since my injury, and besides, this isn't my team."

"I know that, but even then, you seem distant," he says.

"Perhaps a little," I say, "I'm just tired I guess, feeling a little better now."

"Wonder what happened in that bathroom," Bernardo says.