T H R E E

João my brother and I talked for about an hour and my laptop started ringing (the plane has wifi).

"Bro Hayes keeps texting me begging me to tell you to text him back," Nessa says as her face appears on the screen.

"Who doesn't he harass ?" Maggie asks as she joins the call, "I blocked him long ago."

"Don't forget I literally had to change my fucking number," I tell them.

"Language," Shawn says.

"SHAWNIE" I whisper yell, "where's Isa ?" I ask. "Also I think Frankie is sleeping, what a bore," I say fake yawning. João goes to grab something from my brother and he ends up on the frame.

"Who are you with Tof, that doesn't look like Cris," he says.

"That's João, I'm here too though, hello guys," Cris says, popping his face into the screen.

"Why didn't he say hi ?" Shawn asks.

"We embarrass him," Isabel says as she joins the call.

"It's not Cancelo," I inform them lightly laughing. "Guys, this is João Felix, João, these are my friends, Shawn, Maggie, Nessa and Isabel," I say pointing to each of them and they all wave to each other. Just then I get a text in the group chat.

The songwriters

Ness: Wonder why we haven't met him before
Mags: She's embarrassed of us, can't even introduce us to her new boyfriend

"Actually she's embarrassed of me, because the real question here is why haven't I met you guys ?" João says. "But I mean at least it's good you guys know she has a boyfriend," he jokes.

"He's not my boyfriend," I roll my eyes playfully.

"Why are you denying me ?" He asks poking my knee. What the fuck, what is going on here ? Why do I feel so weak ?! We hold eye contact for a bit until Nessa speaks up.

"Boo, we're trying to get Hayes off our backs here," Nessa complains.

"Bro block his number," I tell her snapping out of my trance like state. "He's so fucking annoying, like bro you made your bed, lie in it. Plus I'm pretty sure our Hayes problem will be over by the end of the World Cup."

"Sof this isn't the bachelorette," Isabel says.

" I mean, my dad will make me place a restraining order on him. I didn't want to because of his family and all but I'm only really close with Nash now and we can still see each other as long as Hayes is far away," I clarify.

"Well to be fair, you've got lots of guys interested in you, many of them will be at Qatar," Cris says.

"I thought you wanted me to stay single ?" I ask.

"I want you to be happy, with someone that will treat you right," Cris says, "that someone could be at Qatar... or even on this plane," he finishes looking over at João for a quick second.

We all continue talking for about an hour and Cris falls asleep. João and I continue having a conversation, getting to know each other when we decide to watch a movie. We decided on Barbarian because I hadn't seen it yet and I'm slightly obsessed with Bill Skarsgård. As I'm putting on the movie, I get a message notification from Nash, I see part of it and decide to click on it to finish it. João pulls out his phone as to not be nosy.

Nash 💙

Nash: Hey Tof, I don't know when you'll see this but hopefully I'm not too late. I just found out through mom that Hayes will be at Qatar. I don't know how long he'll be there, and we both know he doesn't really like the sport, he's obviously going to try and speak to you. I didn't want you to be blindsided by him there and thought it'd be best to tell you, I'm sorry.