T H I R T Y - E I G H T

We soon arrive at our hotel, and I invite Mason to come inside with us.

"Let's call Kai," I say plopping down on the bed.

Mason doesn't even question it, he begins FaceTiming Kai while I get up and go change into something more comfortable.

"Helloooo," Kai says as he answers the phone. "Are you with Sofia ?"

"No," I say popping my face into the screen.

"I don't want to talk to her," I hear him say.

"Hang up then," I tell Mason, "it was my idea to call him anyway."

"No don't hang up," he says, "I'm just mad at her."

"What have I done ?" I ask playing dumb.

"You've been ignoring me, some best friend," he jokes.

"I've just been confused," I groan, "plus I don't have good news for you."

"You still haven't talked to him ?" Kai asks.

"I tried, but he's being an ass," I groan, I tell the whole group everything. I don't feel anything when I tell the story anymore, just numb. I only feel like I sound like a broken record because I've repeated this story way too many times.

"His ex has been texting you ?" He asks in disbelief, "and you believe her ?"

"You don't want me too ?" I ask.

"Well normally, I'd tell you to tell her to go to hell, but she's helping you," he pauses for a moment, "what'd she mean by she wants her freedom ?"

"I didn't think to ask when we met, it completely slipped my mind," I say. Being reminded of that, I text her to see if she'll tell me. I don't add the contact or anything, I leave it as is, I know who it is now, but no one needs to know we're working together, if you even want to call it that.

Unknown

Me: Hello ?

Unknown: Sofia ?
I didn't think you'd want to talk to me anymore.

Me: Well, you've helped me.
And I don't think we finished our conversation the other day.

Unknown: You're right, what more would you like to know ?

Me: When I asked you what you wanted out of this, you said your freedom
What'd you mean by that ?

Unknown: Well, you know who got me to help him, I just though he was jealous of João, so I agreed to keep João away from you so he could get you back and I could get João back. Well like I said, when João told me you two were more than friends, I stepped down because I knew deep down I don't deserve him, but you know who is very stubborn, and he still wants you back. Well, he's blackmailing me to continue to help him.

Me: The you know who makes my Harry Potter brain think of Voldemort lol
What does the son of a bitch have on you ?

Unknown: I didn't even think of that, can we call him Voldemort as to not name drop him lol
And I don't know, but I don't think I want to find out.
Anyway, I know it's probably too much to ask, but I know I can't shake him off on my own, but I was hoping, that you'd help me. That's also part of the reason why I decided to be honest with you and why I'm trying to help.
I don't deserve your help, and I definitely wouldn't ask if I truly didn't need it, but I don't feel like I have many options here.

Me: I can help you
I just need to pick my battles.
Hang on for a little longer
Fool him
Make him think you're on his side and helping him out.
You tell me what I need to do, and I will.
I'll do whatever I can to help you
Keep me updated.