S E V E N T Y - T H R E E

I dry my hair as I just got out the shower. João, Hugo and I had gone to the gym, worst vacation ever, and we just got home. I'm annoyed because I could be having a better time with my boyfriend and his family, but instead, I'm practically fighting for my life on social media after being called every derogatory name under the sun.

I woke up to hundreds of notifications this morning leading to the biggest headache of my life. I made calls to my family and best friends letting them know I'd reach out later and I'd be shutting my phone off for the day.

"How are you feeling ?" João asks as he comes into the room with just a towel around his waist. "Earth to Sofia," he says shaking his hand in front of my face shaking me out of my trance. "You're drooling."

"You're hot," I shrug, "what were you saying ?"

"Flatterer," he laughs, "I asked how you were feeling, did you want me to cancel tonight ?"

"No, I'm excited to meet your friends," I smile, "I'm gonna grab another tea with your mom, but I'm feeling better. I need to just shake this off and not let it bother me, I mean, I'm in a beautiful country, in a beautiful city, with beautiful people," I shrug, "I'm living the dream. Plus, I'm back with you and get to shamelessly ogle you all day."

He laughs, "you're doing lots of ogling."

"It's gonna be so hard to focus back in England when I have you around all the time," I sigh, "how tragic."

"You seem to be in higher spirits," he smiles.

"Have I mentioned you're hot ?" I ask and he laughs. "I'm serious, you're quite the sight, just for me though, get dressed," I say patting his chest. "I'm gonna help your mom prepare everything downstairs."

"I'll see you down in a bit," he says placing a quick kiss to my lips.

I head downstairs putting my now dry hair in a messy bun as I walk down the steps. I help João's mom with the food preparation. I ended up making more of the dessert since she loved it and I had only made a little.

I left her to finish the last few details while I accompanied João out to the patio to clean and have everything ready for the arrival of his friends.

"Okay, give me the rundown," I say wanting to be prepared. Meeting new people is easy for me, I either like you, or I don't, but it's not that simple this time, these are João's friends and I'd like to make a good impression.

He looks to be thinking for a second, "everyone is pretty chill, easygoing, they like to joke around, talk out of their ass sometimes. Don't stress, you'll like them and they'll like you... well, I can't promise you'll like them all."

Before he can elaborate, there's a high pitched voice saying his name in a singsong tone, "Joãoooooo."

"Be nice," he whispers placing a kiss on the top of my head.

I take a deep breath, forcing a smile not liking his comment. The girl with the loud voice rushes to João jumping into his arms. This is gonna be a long night, I sigh. I clear my throat as to say 'get off my boyfriend.'

"Oh, sorry," she giggles as she slightly steps away but doesn't remove her hands from him. On the outside, I'm as calm as a cucumber, on the inside, I'm strangling her. "You are ?" She asks, "wait, I know you," she cheers, still not letting go of João, "you're Sofia, I love your music."

Okay, this may not be so bad, as long as she lets go of my man. I smile at her, "you're a fan, that's so cool, what's your name ?"

"Ivone," she smiles, "I know João's a huge fan too," she says placing her hand on his chest, "how exciting you guys got to meet. How did you meet ?"