F O U R T Y - T H R E E

"Tienes los gustos de mamá," (you have your mother's taste [in men]) Luka said as the waitress served our food.

"De que hablas ?" (What are you talking about ?) I ask.

"Te gustan los Portugueses," (you like the Portuguese) he shrugs.

"Que ?" (What ?) I ask confused.

"Tu novio es Portugués no ?" (Your boyfriend is Portuguese no ?) he whispers to me eyeing João.

"No es mi novio," (he's not my boyfriend) I whisper back.

"No es lo que ha dicho el," (that's not what he said) he shrugged.

"Te dijo que es mi novio ?" (He told you he's my boyfriend ?) I ask.

"Mhm," he hums.

"A todos le está diciendo que somos novios y yo enterándome por todos," (he's telling everyone we're dating and I'm finding out through everyone) I laugh.

"What are you two laughing about over here ?" My dad asks me as he takes a seat with Gio and the kids on the other side of me.

"Nothing," I giggle.

As if he was listening in on mine and Luka's conversation, Casemiro pipes up, "what's Sofia gotta do so you can let her date again ?" He asks my dad.

"She can date," my dad shrugs, "just learn how to pick them."

"Ouch," I laugh.

"No more shedding tears for men that don't deserve you," he says reaching for my hand and squeezing it. "She's found herself a nice boy this time around though."

"You approve ?" Modrić asks.

"It's hard not to approve of someone who has showed respect not just my daughter, but to me as well, and Gio of course," my dad said.

"What ?" I whisper to him confused.

"I've said too much," my dad whispers to me.

"More like not enough, talk," I whisper back.

"It's just not everyone has the courage to do what he did," he whispers to me, "but I said I wouldn't say anything to you so shhhh."

I catch on enough to what my dad was saying and take my phone out unblocking João. I text him.

João <3

Me: When I told you to ask my father for my hand in marriage I was JOKING.

He doesn't reply so I text him again.

João <3

Me: What exactly did you tell him ?
Matter of fact, what are you telling everyone ?
I'm finding out we're dating from everyone but you've never even asked me 🤨

He's not even reaching for his phone. I get annoyed and kick him under the table and he gives me a look.

'What was that for ?' He mouths to me.

I show my phone and shake it around. 'Check messages,' I mouth back.

"Sofia, phone away," my dad says taking it from me and putting it in his pocket.

"Oooooo Sofia," Alana coos while she shakes her head.

"Alana," Gio says in a warning tone and I stick my tongue out at Alana.

"Sofia," Gio says. Alana laughs and sticks her tongue out at me too. "Your daughters drive me crazy," Gio tells my dad and I laugh.

"They're my daughters ?" He asks her.