S I X T Y - N I N E

Start from the beginning

I tuck my phone into my pajama pants, turn off the game, and head downstairs for dinner.

"Uncle Cris, Sofia rolled her eyes at me," my cousin snitches.

"How's João ?" My dad asks ignoring Hugo.

"I wouldn't know," I say, "I was talking to him earlier until someone rudely hung up on him."

"Careful Mati, you don't want to send that boy onto your dad's bad side," my uncle says.

"No, no, none of that, João is a good boy," my dad says, "he keeps Sofia grounded, so if it's anyone stealing my little girl's time and attention I'm glad it's a good boy like João."

"Thanks daddy," I smile taking my seat, "your approval means a lot to João and I."

"How will you two survive so much time apart ?" Rodri asks.

"Lots and lots of FaceTime," I laugh.

"It has already started," Cris rolls his eyes picking up his plate and placing it in the sink. His phone rings and he answers it, "Hugoooo," he says as Hugo's face pops up on his screen.

"You judge me and João as if you and Hugo are any better," I scoff.

He waves me off, "let me know when it's time to open presents," he says walking up to his room.

"So Cris gets to go back up to his room and I can't ?" I ask in disbelief.

"I said you could," my dad says.

"You told me one game," I whine.

"Sofia, we're with family, you'll see João in a few days, live in the moment," my dad says and I huff knowing he's right.

I continue eating my dinner and my phone rings.

"Your boyfriend can wait," my aunt reminds me.

"It's not João," I say taking the call, "Mount," I smile as his face appears on my screen.

"Sof, sorry to interrupt your dinner," he said, "I called your dad yesterday and spoke to your mom, about the packages I had sent, she said she was waiting on one, just checking to see if it arrived."

"What packages ?" I ask.

"Yes Mason, they arrived, thank you," Gio says coming into frame.

"What are you two talking about ?" I ask confused.

"Kai asked me to send out your presents," Mason said.

"Thank you for wrapping them," Gio smiles, "makes my job easier."

"I wrapped the nicer ones, Kai did the ugly ones," Mason says and I laugh. "Anyway, I'll let you guys get back to it, just wanted to make sure everything arrived, Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas Mase, thank you," I say blowing a kiss to the screen and hanging up.

I continue eating my dinner with family and after I finished, I helped clean up and headed upstairs back to hop on the game with João. I pull my phone from my pajamas (we all wear matching pajamas on Christmas), and FaceTimed João.

"Hop on FIFA," I say as I walk upstairs to my room.

"I'm playing with Kai," he says.

"There's no way you've replaced me," I pout.

"Let me just finish the game," he laughs.

"It's fine, I'll get back to my reading, I'll talk to you tomorrow, I love you," I say hanging up.

I don't even get a chance to put down my phone before it started ringing again. I wait for it to ring a few times before I pick up.

"I love you," João says as his face pops up in the screen. I give him a look. "Don't do that again."