If it was me instead of you

Dick was woken from his unplanned nap when he felt Babs curl into his side. A smile stretched lazily across his face as he wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close.

She sighed, allowing herself to relax slightly into the embrace.

"Long day?" Dick mumbled.

Babs scoffed. "Long week is more like it," she replied.

Dick rested his chin on her shoulder, breathing in the sweet honey scent of her shampoo. "-m sorry," he mumbled in response.

Babs let out another huff of a breath, grabbing the remote and turning the tv on.

A news report was playing, showing Dick swinging and flipping through a group of criminals.

Babs watched as he took them out one by one, finally noticing the civilian huddled near the wall.

In the video Dick went over to the woman, helping her up. She immediately wrapped her arms around him, and he smiled, placing a kiss soundly on her lips.

Babs clenched her teeth, turning and shoving Dick off of her. "What the heck?!" She shouted as he tumbled off the couch.

Dick's confusion was clear on his face. "What?" He asked, slightly annoyed at being shoved off of the couch.

"That," Babs spat, pointing at the screen that still showed a picture of Nightwing kissing the civilian.

"That's not me," Dick defended.

Babs glared at him. "Well it doesn't look that way to me," she countered.

"Come on Babs, you have to believe me. What day was this? You know I spent most of my past week either at the precinct or fighting crime by your side," Dick said, pleading with Babs to see some sort of reason.

Babs narrowed her eyes. "I'm going to take a walk," she growled, heading over to where she kept her Batgirl suit.

Dick sighed, knowing Babs would only get more riled up if he attempted to stop her. He stood, turning off the tv before making his way to the kitchen table. He grabbed the morning's newspaper and flipped through it, pausing when he found a matching article to the one that had been on the tv before.

'Nightwing super-fan causes a scene during a shooting' was printed in bold letters above the article. Dick skimmed through it, reading about a man named Jackson Donald who'd become so obsessed with Nightwing he'd started trying to become him.

Apparently the man was currently in a psych unit trying to recover from an unhealthy amount of mind altering drugs.

Dick sighed, leaving the paper on the table when he heard a knock at the door. "Babs you don't have to knock," he called, waiting for her to walk in.

When the door stayed closed Dick thought perhaps it was one of his brothers. His gut twisted when he thought of the possibility of it being the commissioner, someone coming to tell him something had happened to Babs and they'd uncovered her identity...

He opened the door, eyes widening when he saw who was on the other side.

BANG

Dick fell to the floor with a pained cry, blood pooling under his body, the Joker's cackles echoing through the apartment building as the villain retreated.

Neighbors came a few minutes later to investigate the sound of the gunshot, one immediately calling for an ambulance.

"You're going to be ok," someone was saying, but Dick felt like he was under water, unable to fully understand what was happening.

Hands started putting pressure on the gushing bullet wound and Dick cried out, his breath quickening.

"Stay awake," a voice called, a hand tapping his cheek.

Dick whimpered quietly as the movement jostled him. He could hear sirens outside, but he wasn't quite sure why. Life seemed to skip forward in chunks, pieces of time flying past unnoticed as his blood leaked out onto the floor.

People in uniforms were around him now, moving him, lifting him. He'd stopped crying out minutes before as a numbness crept into his body.

Dick found himself fighting to keep his eyes open. Why? Why was he keeping his eyes open? He was tired so he should sleep... but someone had told him to stay awake. Hadn't they?

His thoughts spiraled lazily, voices around him too garbled for him to even attempt to understand. So he closed his eyes and let himself slip away.

Babs heard a sudden commotion through the police scanner she'd taken to carrying with her.

A shooting it sounded like. One person injured and the unknown shooter on the run... the police could handle it.

Dick felt a warm hand gripping his own. He could hear garbled snippets of conversation, and something that almost sounded like sniffling... His face scrunched slightly as he tried to convince his heavy eyelids to open.

"Grayson?" A tiny voice asked.

Dick's eyes fluttered open and he groaned. He couldn't quite tell how he was feeling with how many drugs were probably being pumped into him at the moment.

Damian's tear-filled eyes looked back at him, and Dick felt his own mood falter. Why was Damian crying?

Bruce's hand tightened in his own, and Dick glanced over worriedly.

Jason, Tim, and Alfred each stepped closer when Dick's breathing started to pick up.

Bruce leaned forward, placing his other hand on Dick's knee.

"Joker," Dick gasped. "H-he..." his words cut off abruptly as his gaze traveled down to Bruce's hand on his knee. Tears welled up in his eyes as he looked over to his father figure, terror clear on his face. "I can't feel my legs," he whispered.