Dare...

TW: self harm

It all started out as a harmless game of truth or dare.

Miss Martian, Beast Boy, Lagoon Boy, and Wonder Girl were all sitting around their new temporary base.

After Gar (Beast Boy) called out that he was bored for the fifth time in a row, they decided to play truth or dare.

After a few rounds it was established that nobody would be picking truth, unless they wanted to be embarrassed so thoroughly that they would feel like they wanted to die. So that left only dare...

A few more rounds led to the start of some sort of unsaid competition. The boys were all trying to see who could give out the most intense dare.

After Gar was dared to turn into a dog and drink from the toilet, he turned to M'gann and asked the dreaded question. "M'gann, truth or dare?"

M'gann's cheeks flushed as she remembered the embarrassing truths she had already been forced to share. "Dare." She said, trying to sound confident.

"I dare you to prank someone!" Gar said excitedly.

"Ok... but who?" M'gann asked.

The boys shared a look before giving a collective evil smile. "Nightwing."

Everything that had happened recently, the loss of the mountain, Wally's death, and the countless other breaches of trust had been held over Nightwing's head.

All the members of the team felt betrayed, and they let Nightwing hear about it. Every time he came to their new base, which had so far been about once a week, he received glares, and had to listen to people verbally attacking him and blaming him for everything that had happened.

Nightwing never retorted or even acknowledged the words that cut so deeply into his heart, because they were all thoughts he'd already had himself. And he believed them to be true.

The team was too blinded by their anger. They couldn't see how much their fellow vigilante was hurting inside.

"How am I supposed to prank him?" M'gann asked.

"Well, I think the first step would be looking in his room." Gar said mischievously.

The four heroes stood and walked to the nondescript wooden door that belonged to Nightwing's room. La'gaan turned the handle, and pushed the door open. Surprisingly, it was unlocked.

Gar gently pushed M'gann into the room. "See anything that looks like good pranking material?" He asked.

As far as M'gann knew, Nightwing had never spent the night in this room, and she could see why. It was the size of a closet, with only a thin inflatable pad on the ground. The closet held a single Nightwing suit, and on the ground was a nicely framed picture.

"There isn't much in here, other than this..." M'gann said, holding up the picture.

The picture was of a small black haired boy with a man and a woman. They were all smiling happily.

"Hold up. Is this Nightwing's family?" Gar asked.

"I think so..." M'gann replied.

"I thought Batman was Nightwing's Dad." Cassie said.

"That's what I thought too..." Gar said. "This guy definitely isn't Batman though. His face shape and body structure are completely different."

"Is it possible that Nightwing's parents don't even know he's Nightwing?" La'gaan asked.

"It's possible..." M'gann trailed off.

"I know what you should do for the prank!" Gar suddenly shouted. A devilish grin on his face.