Powerless

"You ready for this one?" Dick asked Damian as he pulled the cowl of his Batman suit onto his face. The weight of it seeming to drag him down. He'd never wanted to be Batman... Why did Bruce have to leave them so soon?

"Ready," Damian said, practicing his cartwheels that Dick had been helping him perfect.

Dick smiled and ruffled his brother's hair, much to the younger's dismay. "Let's get on the road then," he said.

"No!" Dick cried as Damian fell to the ground, the bloodied blade of one medieval knight themed villain hovering over his chest.

Time seemed to slow as Dick fought desperately to get to his brother's side, but there were too many men in his way. There was nothing he could do, a fact proved by the stinging pain of a blade piercing his side.

Tears of desperation rolled down Dick's cheeks as he sluggishly continued his fight.

A flash of a red helmet, and a leather jacket alerted Dick to Jason's presence. Bullet shots rang out, and suddenly it was over. Damian was wrapped in the cape of Dick's Batman suit, safe.

Damian let his eyes drift closed, trusting in the security he felt in his brother's strong arms.

"He's alright Dick, he's safe," Jason reassured his older brother, who was pacing the cave despite Alfred's explicit orders to stay still and rest.

"It was too close. If it hadn't been for you... I... I should've been able to protect him," Dick said, hanging his head. "I was his Batman..." his voice broke.

"You don't have to do this on your own Dickie," Jason said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Dick shrugged his brother's hand off, not willing to accept the comfort it offered. "No... I... I'm done. I can't keep trying to fill the hole that Bruce left."

Jason stepped back in shock. "Dick, what are you saying... you can't just give up like that because of one botched mission," he
said.

Dick let out an unbelievably tired sigh. "I'm not Jay... I... I just need a break that's all," he mumbled.

Jason nodded. "I understand," he said, "and I'm here to help. I can take the mantel for a few weeks while you get your head in the right place"

Dick sent his brother a tired smile. "Thanks Jay," he said, allowing the defeated look to slip back onto his face only after the younger had left. "I failed you Dami," he mumbled, brushing stray hairs off of his brother's forehead.

Dick perched next to one of the gargoyles on a particularly tall building in Gotham. A tear rolled down his cheek as thoughts of his earlier failure continued to torment him.

"It's tragic isn't it," a voice spoke from behind. "You heroes can never seem to save them all."

Dick grit his teeth, not caring enough to look for whoever was speaking.

"I can help you with that... help you to feel less... powerless."

"What makes you think I want that," Dick retorted.

"You and I are very similar. Wanting to protect every innocent... but everyone you ask to help you in this business ends up endangering or losing their life."

The man's words hit Dick like a fist as thoughts of everyone he'd lost flashed through his mind. "What's the catch?" He asked.

"Simple. You come with me and become part of a new family. You won't need the one you have now anymore," the voice replied.