Sunburn

Dick slowly unbuttoned his officer's uniform, wincing as he moved. His arms, neck, and face were all bright red, and they throbbed with a feverish heat. "Why didn't I bring sunscreen?" he muttered under his breath.

There had been a particularly lengthy parade in Blüdhaven that afternoon, and Dick's assignment as crowd control had left him standing out in the sun for hours without any way to protect his skin... now, he was paying the price.

Stumbling into the bathroom, Dick grabbed a bottle of aloe vera gel and popped open the top, holding his hand underneath and trying to squeeze some out.

All that came from the small bottle was a wheeze and a small puff of air.

"No no no no no," Dick muttered as he shook the bottle, desperately needing some relief from the burning of his skin.

After a few minutes Dick gave up and tossed the bottle in the trash. He walked into his room and fell heavily onto his bed, wincing when he put pressure on his sunburn.

Tiredness washed over Dick as soon as he'd laid down. 'Maybe Jason has some aloe...' he thought, letting his eyes drift close for just a second before he forced them open again and grabbed his phone.

"You have some aloe vera gell I could use?" Dick texted.

"Did you get a little crispy out in the sun today?" Jason replied.

"Yes. Do you have some?" Dick asked again, rolling his eyes.

"Ya I do. Do you want me to bring it over?" Jason texted.

"Yes please," Dick replied, sighing with relief.

"I have something to finish real quick, but I'll bring it over after," Jason sent.

Dick put his phone down and lay on his bed, trying to find the energy to get up and at least change into some normal clothing. Before he could muster the willpower however, his eyes had drifted shut, and he fell into an exhausted sleep.

Jason slipped into Dick's apartment through his usual window entrance. He was carrying a bottle of aloe vera gel, and he called out a greeting to Dick once he was inside the quiet house.

When he received no reply, Jason shrugged and started walking around the apartment, peering into each room. He finally found Dick in his bedroom.

Dick was sprawled out on his bed, arms, neck, and face covered with a painful looking sunburn.

Jason looked at each of the burns with concern, noting the particularly painful looking ones on Dick's face. His fingers ghosted over the sunburns on Dick's arms, being careful not to actually touch the reddened skin.

"This is why we wear sunscreen Dickie," Jason muttered under his breath as he opened the bottle of aloe. He squeezed some of the gel into his palm and scooped some up on his thumb, gently rubbing it on Dick's cheek.

Dick's eyes cracked open, and he managed to wheeze Jason's name, wincing from the pain his dry throat brought when he spoke.

Jason hushed him as he brought a straw to Dick's mouth, offering him cool fresh water.

Dick sucked up some of the clear liquid, but started coughing violently when he didn't swallow correctly.

"Slow down," Jason admonished, helping Dick into more of a sitting position before bringing the straw back to his lips.

"Thanks," Dick said between wheezes.

"That's a nasty sunburn Dickie," Jason said, noticing some blistering on the reddened areas.

Dick hummed in response, his eyes already sliding closed.

Jason shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips as he gently started rubbing the aloe over the sunburned areas of Dick's skin.