Everyone has fears...

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Jason sat bolt upright in bed, body covered in a cold sweat. He turned his head to the empty space on the bed next to him, panic rising in his chest when he didn't find Dick lying there.

Before his senses came back to him, Jason had searched around his entire apartment, looking for some sign of his fiancé...

It suddenly hit Jason hard. Of course Dick wouldn't be here... they weren't together anymore.

Tears formed in Jason's eyes as he remembered the nightmare he'd just had... the warehouse. The gun. Three shots to the heart. Dick falling lifeless to the ground.

The tears rolled down his cheeks.

Jason's groggy mind couldn't quite separate fact from fiction as he sat, sobbing, on his bed. His hands trembled as he dialed the familiar number on his phone, needing to hear Dick's voice. Needing to prove to himself that his nightmare was just a dream.

The phone rang and rang, making Jason's anxiety build.

Finally, a groggy voice came through from the other end of the call. "Jason?" Dick asked, tired and utterly confused.

"Dick," Jason breathed, the tightness in his chest dissipating once he heard the familiar voice.

"What do you want Jason," Dick said, voice becoming more guarded than before.

"I... I just wanted to hear your voice," Jason mumbled into the phone.

Dick scoffed. "Well now you have... goodnight," he said, ending the call.

Jason sighed, and before he could convince himself it was a bad idea, he texted Dick. "I miss you," he sent.

"You were the one who called this off Jason. We're over now. Move on," Dick replied a second later.

Jason took a shaky breath. 'I'm an idiot... of course I would ruin the only good thing in my life,' he thought to himself.

Jason rubbed his eyes as he sat up, tiredness still clinging to him. He'd only managed to actually fall asleep the night before after he'd grabbed one of Dick's sweatshirts from his closet that still smelled like him and put it on. Pretending Dick was there with him.

It was a bit pathetic, and Jason knew that. Especially given that it was him who decided to break things apart in the first place.

Finally finding the motivation to get up, Jason rolled out of bed and got ready for the day.

Jason was patrolling as usual when he happened to see Dick jumping across rooftops, dressed in his black and blue Nightwing uniform.

A shaky breath escaped from Jason's mouth as he clenched his teeth, forcing himself to stay where he was instead of following after the acrobat.

All thoughts of staying put went out the window when Jason saw Nightwing go limp in the middle of a jump, flopping to the roof of a building and lying still as a man tied his arms and carried him off.

Jason raced across the rooftops, trying to keep up with the car Dick had been shoved into... but he wasn't fast enough.

It took Jason a while to track down the car, and when he finally did, he was standing in front of a warehouse that gave him a strong sense of deja vu. He made his way inside, hiding in the shadows before he froze completely, deja vu intensifying.

Dick was standing with fragments of a snapped rope around his wrists. A man was standing in front of him with a gun.

The warehouse... the gun...

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Dick cried out as Jason's body fell into his arms, blood spurting from the three bullet holes in his back.

Jason vaguely registered Dick taking down the gunman with a wingding and a bola...

A gloved hand gently cupping his cheek brought Jason back to the present. His helmet was lying on the floor next to him.

"Stay awake," Dick pleaded, tears slipping out from beneath his mask.

Dick worked quickly and expertly, first removing the bullets and then stitching and binding the wounds with supplies from his utility belt.

"Dick," Jason called out as the older was leaving his apartment.

Dick stopped and turned back towards Jason.

"Please don't go," Jason said in something close to a whisper.

"Jay, we're not together anymore..." Dick trailed off.

"I know... and calling it off was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life... It's just... It's just that I was scared," Jason confessed.

"Scared about what?" Dick asked, stepping away from the window he'd been about to leave through.

"Scared of losing you..." Jason said, tears coming to his eyes.

"Scared I'd leave you?" Dick asked incredulously. "Pushing me away isn't the solution to that problem Jay..."

"No," Jason whispered. "I was scared of you dying... ok," he said, continuing before Dick could get a word in edgewise. "A-and I know you're a vigilante and all and that you've had a few scrapes with death... but I run with a rough crowd. Even by our standards."

Dick pondered over Jason's words. Jay was scared of losing him...

"That day... the one where I ended it... you could've died that day, and it was my fault. That's when I knew I couldn't make you marry me. I figured that it would be better to have you as a friend and for you to stay alive than for you to die because of me," Jason said, struggling to sit up on his bed.

Jason was about to say something else when his mouth was sealed by Dick's lips pressing against it.

The kiss lasted a few moments, and when they broke apart Dick rested his forehead against Jason's. "I'd rather die having been married to you, than live a million years without you in my life," he said in a soft voice.

Jason let out a happy sob, grabbing the small velvet box from where it had been sitting on his bedside table. "Richard John Grayson, will you marry me?" he asked, flipping the top open and revealing the simple golden band, the one Dick had seen his mother wear as a child, resized to fit his finger perfectly.

A sweet smile spread across Dick's face. "Jason Peter Todd... I will."