Fire P2

Dick let out a raspy groan as he came to. A straw was placed against his lips, and he gratefully sipped, the water soothing his dry throat.

"Dickie?" Jason said, placing a hand on Dick's shoulder.

Dick opened his eyes and smiled slightly when he saw Jason hovering over him. "Jay," he croaked. "You're ok?" he asked, looking at Jason with concern.

"Ya, I am." A look of sadness crossed Jason's face. "I got a little burned on my shoulder, but..." Jason trailed off, not being able to bare telling Dick the truth.

"What's wrong?" Dick asked, concerned.

"I... t-the doctor will be here in a few minutes... it's probably better if he tells you," Jason said, trailing off.

Dick looked around the room, trying to meet someone's eyes, trying to find someone who would tell him what was going on.

Other than Dick and Jason, the room was completely devoid of people.

A few moments later, there was a knock on the door. It opened a crack, letting in two tall men dressed in scrubs, one of which was wearing some sort of a white lab coat.

Lab coat man introduced himself to Dick as Dr. Faber before taking a seat on one of the nearby chairs.

The other man, a nurse, had a notepad in hand which he got ready to write on.

"This is Matt. He'll be your nurse for the rest of your stay in the hospital Mr. Grayson," Dr. Faber said, sending Dick a sad smile that he didn't really know how to interpret.

"W-what happened?" Dick asked, voice quavering because of his fear.

The doctor gave a long, sad sigh. This was, by far, the worst part of his job as a doctor. Delivering bad news.

"Mr. Grayson," Faber said, resting his head on his hands and looking absolutely bone tired. "You were in a fire."

"Yes, I know that," Dick said irritatedly when Faber paused for a few minutes.

"You were lucky to escape the fire with your life... but... but unfortunately not all of you could be saved," Dr. Faber finished gently.

"W-what do you mean?" Dick whispered, eyes filling with tears, begging inside for this to all just be a big joke. The doctor would revel his secret prank soon... right?

But then again, Dick was having an awfully hard time feeling his left foot...

"Your left foot and lower calf were too damaged by the flames. There was nothing we could do to save them," the doctor said, expertly dancing around an actual admittance of what had happened.

The doctor avoided saying what had happened, but it didn't matter. The word was still echoing around in Dick's head, crashing into pieces of his life and bouncing away as he slowly crumbled.

Amputee.

The word they refused to speak, but the word Dick instinctively knew that they were all thinking.

Dr. Faber flipped back the edge of the blanket, showing Dick his wrapped stump.

Tears blurred in Dick's vision. They filled his eyes and dripped slowly down his cheeks.

Suddenly, Dick felt a hand grip his. Jason, his wonderful fiancé... would he even love him now? Now that a piece of him was missing.

"Thank you Doctor, I think we need a bit of time alone... to talk through things," Jason said quietly.

Faber left the room with a nod, the nurse following behind.

Once they were gone, Dick's body shook with pained sobs.