Shots

Jason didn't mind Dick's fear of needles. Bruce had told him it had been caused by something the court of owls had done shortly after they took the older boy from the circus, so he understood that there were probably some traumatic memories associated with getting shots and such, but even so, he'd hoped it would get better once Dick had finally been returned to normal.

Unfortunately, it only seemed to get worse.

Luckily, Dick didn't often need shots or blood draws, but when he did... there was no telling what he'd do.

Again, Jason didn't really mind the fact that Dick was afraid of needles, it was just the older man's reaction to them that made his blood boil.

Dick was a freaking killing machine, granted, a now mortal killing machine, but one nonetheless. He could easily take down super-powered opponents who weighed twice as much as him, but as soon as his tetanus shot needed a booster... he was shaking and crying.

Jason knew that everyone was afraid of something, heck, there were some things that even Jason was afraid of. He just wished that Dick could handle his fear better.

Now, this wasn't any sort of a deal breaker in their relationship, in fact, they'd never even talked about it. Until the day that Dick had a doctor appointment.

Dick had begged Jason to come with him to his doctor appointment, eventually looking so anxious that Jason agreed to come, if only to stop him from hyperventilating in the moment.

Due to the distance from Gotham, Dick wasn't able to meet with Dr. Leslie, instead scheduling an appointment at the Blüdhaven family medicine clinic.

Dick's leg bounced nervously as they waited in the spacious waiting room.

"Stop," Jason said, putting his hand on Dick's leg and shooting his boyfriend a look.

Dick let out a sad sigh, and instead busied himself counting down the minutes until he'd have to go back for his routine physical.

A few minutes passed before Jason nudged Dick. "Dickie. I think you should get a flu shot while you're here. I know the precinct wants you to get one every year, and they're gonna get on your back about it soon," he said, not noticing when Dick paled slightly at the mention of the word shot.

"Y-ya... I..." Dick cleared his throat. "I probably need to get that done," he said, biting his lip.

Jason smiled and patted Dick on the back, thinking that he must've gotten over his fear of needles at least a bit, since he'd actually agreed to get a shot.

A few minutes later Dick's name was called out by an MA who introduced herself as Hailey.

The MA quickly took Dick's weight, vitals, and did a quick vision test on him before she started her note on the computer.

She began asking Dick a few general questions, starting with why he came into the office that day.

Dick answered the questions as best as he could, telling the woman that he was there for a routine physical, and would like to get a flu shot as well.

"Dr. Poste will be in to see you in a moment," the MA said. "Can I get you two anything while you wait?"

"Nope," Jason answered for them when Dick remained silent.

Once the MA was gone, Dick turned to Jason, looking about as distraught as Jason had ever seen him. "Jay..." he started.

Jason cut Dick off before he could finish. "If this is about the shot I don't want to hear it. I'm sure you can deal with one tiny shot."