Anniversary

TW: character death

Dick climbed into Jason's most recent base of operations. He crouched in the rafters for a moment, his Nightwing suit blending in with the shadows. He was absolutely furious with the younger.

Jason was usually unreliable when it came to showing up, but he never missed meeting up with Dick on April 27.

It was a tradition that Dick had started the year after Jason had come back. The two would meet on the top of an abandoned warehouse in downtown Blüdhaven and spend the entire day together. Dick did it so Jason wouldn't have to be alone to remember the horrific way he'd been killed years ago on that very day.

Jason had been there waiting every year when Dick showed up at the building, but this year he hadn't shown. Dick had waited, watching as the hours ticked by and the sun first rose in the sky before starting to fall again.

Dick had waited on the rooftop for hours, hoping that Jason would show up, but he hadn't. This made Dick justifiably angry, so he'd stormed over to Jason's safe house to give him a piece of his mind. Only to find that empty too.

A frown of concern found its way onto Dick's face when he saw that Jason's signature red helmet and leather jacket were gone.

Dick walked over to the wall and pressed a cleverly concealed button which revealed a large computer screen.

"Jackpot." Dick said aloud as he hacked into the mainframe, looking for the signal from Red Hood's helmet or the feed from Jason's domino mask that he wore underneath.

The text 'helmet not found' flashed across the screen of the computer and Dick grit his teeth, shifting all of his focus onto trying to find feed from Jason's domino mask.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, an image flickered to life on the screen.

The view seemed to be the inside of some sort of puppet making factory. The view drifted down to the floor for a moment, showing blood-stained concrete. The view was suddenly pulled up sharply, and to the side. Standing directly in front of the camera was the Joker. His grotesque grin showed his crooked yellow teeth, and there were splatters of blood on his face and hands. He reached one hand towards the camera and suddenly the screen went blank, showing nothing but static.

Dick backed up from the computer, breath coming in short panicked gasps. Jason was back with the Joker, on the anniversary of his death no less... Dick shuffled through his mind, trying to think of a place that would have a bunch of creepy puppets hanging around like that.

"I've got it." Dick said, snapping his fingers. He wasted no time calling Bruce to tell him where he was going, instead leaving and racing to the spot he'd parked his motorcycle.

Dick raced to the abandoned building that used to house a company called 'the puppet factory'. The building was in downtown Gotham, and Dick sped there as fast as he could. Hoping with all his heart he wasn't already too late.

When Dick arrived he carelessly tossed his motorcycle to the side, running to the nearest entrance, which happened to be a window.

Dick let out a quiet sigh of relief when he saw that Jason was still alive, and was in fact in the building at all. He slowly crept along the rafters until he was standing directly above Jason and the Joker. He took a rope from his utility belt and tied it snugly onto the beam he was balancing on.

Before climbing down to a safer jumping height, Dick looked down. There was Jason. He looked badly beaten, and his head was dropping forward. Joker stood before him, holding a long sword that glinted wickedly in the light.

Dick's eyes widened and he scuttled down the rope as fast as he could, but Joker swung before Dick could jump on him.

The decision of what to do was made in Dick's mind only a fraction of a second after the sword was raised. He was not going to let Jason die again.