A meaningful gift

A little JayDick anyone?
———————————————————————————

"Is it done Drake?" Damian asked.

Tim was silent for a moment as he glanced over his shoulder towards Dick's bedroom. "Ya," he finally muttered. "I still don't think this is a very good idea."

"Nonsense," Damian said with a wave of his hand.

A loud thud from down the hall caught the two boys' attention.

"That's our cue," Damian said, heading into Dick's room where they found their older brother passed out on the floor.

Damian grabbed Dick's arms and started dragging him down the hall and toward the stairs. "Are you going to help me Drake? Or just stand there?" He asked, sounding slightly annoyed.

Tim reluctantly grabbed his older brother's legs and helped Damian carry him down the the main foyer where a large box was waiting.

"You prep the box and I'll take care of Grayson," Damian said, pulling a long piece of rope from seemingly nowhere.

Tim bit his lip and went to work assembling the box and applying the shipping label.

"Come help me lift him," Damian said.

"Damian, I don't think sending your brother in the mail is a good idea..." Tim said.

"It'll be fine... Besides, he'll be asleep for most of it anyway," Damian reasoned.

"But what if he gets hungry... or... or thirsty?"

"I plan to throw in a water bottle and a few granola bars," Damian said, starting to drag Dick toward the box.

"Yes, but he's been drugged and tied up..." Tim said.

"If he was really desperate for food or water he could get free of the ropes," Damian scoffed.

"Ok, but what if he gets hurt in there or something?" Tim worried, eventually coming to Damian's aid if only to stop him from giving Dick a rug burn.

"We payed for premium shipping and the box has instructions to keep the correct orientation. I think it'll be fine."

Tim sighed, but eventually gave up on his protests and helped Damian seal the box.

The two were loading the box onto a dolly to wheel onto the front porch when Bruce walked down the hall. "Have either of you seen Dick?" He asked, looking up from a stack of papers.

"He left," Damian blurted.

"Really?" Bruce asked. "Without saying goodbye?"

"Y-ya... he... he said he had something important come up suddenly in Blüdhaven," Tim said, hoping his lies were smooth enough to fool his father.

Bruce grunted, turning as if to walk away before catching sight of the large box Damian and Tim were standing next to. "What's that?" He asked.

"It's our birthday present to Todd," Damian said, stepping in front of the box.

Bruce furrowed his brows. "Live animal... handle with care..." he read. "Boys... This better not be another snake. You know how angry he got when you did that last year."

"We know," Tim said.

"And it's not a snake," Damian added. "We're sure it's something he's going to like."

Bruce sighed. "Alright," he said as he walked away.

Jason sighed as he walked to his apartment door, hoping it was just the pizza he'd ordered not some random acquaintance coming to talk... or worse, sing him happy birthday or something.