Charity case

"Bwoose?" Dick asked, grabbing on to Bruce's suitcoat sleeve.

Bruce sighed in annoyance. "I thought Alfred was teaching you proper English," he said, yanking his sleeve away.

"He... he is..." Dick muttered quietly.

"Then why can't you say something as simple as my name yet, hmm?" Bruce asked the tiny 8 year old.

"I-I..." Dick trailed off.

"That's what I thought, you don't have any excuse," Bruce said, brushing past the child and continuing his way down the hallway.

Dick's brow furrowed and he bit his trembling lower lip to keep in his tears. Had he done something wrong? Something that would make Bruce mad at him? He trudged down the hall to the kitchen where Alfred was preparing some hors d'oeuvres for Bruce's gala.

"Alfie?" He asked quietly.

"Yes Master Dick?" The butler replied.

"I-I need help. I don't know how to do this," Dick said, holding up his untied bow tie.

"I shall gladly help you tie your tie Master Dick," Alfred replied kindly.

"Thanks," Dick said, holding still just long enough for Alfred to tie the bow tie around his neck. "Alfwed?" He asked tentatively, continuing when the older man turned back towards him. "Did I do something bad to make Bwoose mad?" He asked, tears filling up his eyes.

Alfred sighed and sent Dick a look of pity. "I'm afraid I don't know young sir," he said. "Now why don't you run along, guests are already arriving for the gala."

Dick walked into the ballroom, trying not to trip in his stiff fancy clothing. He spotted Bruce across the room, and cautiously started to approach him.

Bruce turned toward him with a smile on his face, scooping him up in his arms and holding him on one hip. "Say hi to commissioner Gordon Dickie," he said brightly, gesturing to the man in front of him.

"Hi," Dick said, waving shyly.

The commissioner returned his greeting, smiling widely and remarking on how well he seemed to be getting along.

As time went on Bruce dragged Dick around the gala with him, introducing him to everyone with a huge smile on his face.

Dick endured as the women cooed over him and pinched his cheeks, all the while wondering why Bruce was suddenly so happy with him, as opposed to the way he'd been acting lately, which was anything but loving.

Unfortunately, Bruce's friendly demeanor only lasted as long as there were guests.

Once the halls of Wayne manor were devoid of any guests Bruce was back to scowls and glares.

"Dick. Go to your room," Bruce said sternly, watching as the young boy scrambled up the stairs as fast as he could, tripping once near the middle.

Dick sat in his blank, empty room. It was devoid of any toys or decorations, the only thing that offered any comfort was a small stuffed elephant that Dick hid under his bed when he wasn't cuddling it. He knew if Bruce saw it he'd make him get rid of the ragged thing, and he couldn't risk that. Peanut, the elephant, was the only thing he had left from his parents.

"What did I do wrong Peanut?" Dick sniffled as he got into his pajamas and waited for Alfred to come tuck him into bed. "Bwoose just hates me."

Suddenly, Dick noticed a small tear in the underarm of his suit coat. His eyes widened in panic when he thought of how mad Bruce would be when he found out about it.

The door opened a few moments later, and Dick dove under his bed.

"Master Dick?" Alfred called.

Dick had never been more relieved to hear Alfred's voice in his life as he slowly climbed out from under his bed.

"Might I ask why you were under your bed?" Alfred asked.

"I twipped... a-and I accidentally got a hole in that," Dick said, pointing shamefully at the suit coat that was hanging in his closet. "I knew Bwoose would be mad..."

Alfred took a look at the hole before taking the coat off of the hanger. "I shall mend it sir, master Bruce will never know," he said with a wink. "Now, let's get you ready for bed."

Dick woke up in the middle of the night, whimpering from the nightmare he'd had of his parents' death. He crept out of his room and started towards the kitchen, hoping to get a glass of milk.

When Dick neared the kitchen he stopped, hearing voices inside. He was about to go back up to bed when he heard his name.

"Master Dick requires more love than you are giving him Sir. He just lost his family, and he desperately needs someone to love him," Alfred said.

Bruce scoffed. "Alfred, you know he's just here for positive press," he said.

"Yes, I'm aware of how you're using him. Showcasing Bruce Wayne's great charity. I only beg you to keep the boy in mind, he can't flourish like this."

"He's nothing but a charity case alright Alfred!" Bruce nearly shouted. "I didn't take him as my ward so I could become his surrogate father. I saw his parents fall and took him in. He's not my son, and he never will be."

At this point Dick had heard enough. He snuck back to his room with tears rolling down his cheeks. Charity case... that's all he was to Bruce... good to know.