Only a child

This one's a request from Leona1466
I hope everyone enjoys :)))

Dick balanced on one of the cave's kitchen counters, trying with all his might to reach the chocolate chips, the last ingredient he needed for his chocolate chip cookies.

M'gann had purposely placed them as high up as she could to try and prevent Wally from grabbing them and snacking on them, something Dick had found funny at the time. Now it was just a slight inconvenience.

"Dude, you're so short," Wally himself said from across the room.

Dick rolled his eyes. "Wally, I'll have you know that I'm average hight for my age," he said, measuring out the chocolate chips and pouring them into his cookie dough mixture.

"You're literally not," Wally replied. "Just look at the rest of us. Everyone else is taller than you, even the girls."

"You're also all older than me," Dick replied, not even sparing the redhead a glance.

Wally paused for a moment. "Well yeah... you're the youngest of us, but not that much younger."

"I'm 13 Wally," Dick deadpanned.

Wally was silent for a long moment. "You're 13?!" He shouted suddenly, making Dick jump.

"Uhh yeah?" Dick replied, a blush darkening his cheeks. He hadn't assumed it would be that big of a deal.

Apparently it was a big deal, as the rest of the members of the team filed into the kitchen to gawk at him.

"What are you doing fighting crime?" Artemis asked. "You're just a kid barely turned a teenager."

"I'm not that much younger than all of you," Dick argued. "And I've been doing this for a lot longer too."

"That in itself is worrying Robin. You are rather young," Kaldur said, resting a hand on Dick's shoulder.

Dick shrugged his hand off. "This doesn't change anything, why are you all treating me like I'm a baby now, and before everything was fine?" He asked, sending a rather nonthreatening glare in Wally's direction.

"Rob. Like Arty said, you're a child. If we had've realized we would've protected you more..." Wally said.

Dick threw up his hands in frustration. "I'm not a child, I can handle myself!" He shouted, storming out of the room, leaving the rest of the team standing in shocked silence.

"He's just a kid," M'gann mumbled, staring in the direction Robin had gone. "It would be so easy for him to get hurt... how didn't we notice before?"

"I don't know," Kaldur mumbled.

"Not to point out the obvious here," Wally started, "but he also doesn't have any powers to protect himself like most of the rest of us."

"Hey, no powers here either," Artemis said, folding her arms over her chest.

"You have a ranged weapon," Conner pointed out. "Robin fights largely with hand to hand."

"It would be so easy for him to get hurt... to... to get killed," M'gann mumbled, her eyes getting teary at the thought.

"We have to do a better job of protecting him," Artemis said, giving in to the protectiveness she felt for the youngest member of the team.

The rest of the heroes nodded, forming a sort of silent pact. They wouldn't let Robin get hurt any more than he already had, not if the could do something about it.

Dick let out a surprised grunt as he was knocked aside by Artemis, the elder stepping in to fight the man he'd been about to take down. A whoosh of air was the only thing he registered before he found himself standing outside the building they'd been scoping for criminal activity.