2nd chance

TW: character death

Dick came home from work and fell onto the couch in his and Wally's apartment. He squeezed his eyes closed and grit his teeth, trying to ignore the sharp pain in his abdomen.

The pain had started the day before, right next to his bellybutton.

The stabbing pains resulting from every movement had caused Dick to be cranky, which led to a horrible fight with Wally.

Wally had slept the night on the couch, oblivious, while Dick was curled up on their bed in pain.

In the morning Dick had felt even worse. He had a slight fever and vomited up the food he ate for breakfast. Wally would usually have been the one to force him to stay home, but the ginger had been ignoring his husband as much as he could after their argument, and had gone to work early that morning.

Dick drank a cup of water before getting ready to leave for work, despite feeling like he was going to fall over with the slightest gust of wind.

After a few minutes of walking around and getting ready, Dick actually began to feel a bit better, so he chalked everything up to a strange case of the flu and simply grabbed a face mask before heading out the door.

Soon after he got to work, Dick began feeling worse. The pain he had been feeling before returned, but this time it was spread through his entire abdomen.

Dick thought about going home early, but decided against it. He only had to come in for a few hours that day, and he figured he could last until it was time for him to check out.

The hours ticked by slowly, and Dick's condition rapidly worsened...

Dick was barely able to make it back to his apartment before he collapsed directly onto the couch.

Wally wouldn't be home for a few hours, so Dick let his eyes slide closed, and the pain fade away as he drifted off into sleep.

Wally walked into the apartment and immediately noticed Dick asleep on the couch. His husband's face was flushed and Wally walked over and gently laid the back of his hand on his forehead.

Dick definitely had a bit of a fever. Wally's first instinct was to kneel down next to his significant other and nurse him back to health, but then he remembered their fight from the day before. His expression hardened as he stepped away, roughly removing his hand.

Dick's eyes slid open and he groaned. "Wa...lly," he said in something close to a whisper.

Wally glanced back at Dick.

"It h-hurts Wally. Something's wrong with me," Dick said, face screwed up in pain.

"You probably just have the flu or something. It's worse for some people than it is for others," Wally said dismissively, turning and walking away.

Dick whimpered as he laid his head back and closed his eyes.

Wally's gaze flickered to the couch. He felt really bad about how he had treated Dick earlier, and their last argument echoed in his head. 'I need to do something to make this up to him,' he thought, pondering things he could do to apologize to the acrobat. "Got it," he whispered, moving towards the kitchen with a smile on his face.

About an hour later Wally had a tray loaded with a bowl of chicken noodle soup and slices of fresh bread. He walked over to Dick and shook him awake.

Dick gasped at the wave of pain that came rippling through his body when Wally shook him.