Covid

Jason came home to find the apartment unusually quiet. Normally Dick would've been making dinner or tidying up something Jason had left out that morning, but there was no sign of him.

"Dick!" Jason called as he checked each room.

Jason finally found the man in their bedroom. He was laying on the bed with his police uniform and his face mask still on.

"Dick," Jason said, shaking his husband awake.

Dick groaned as he opened his eyes. "Jay?" he asked groggily.

"Are you alright?" Jason asked, putting his hand on Dick's forehead and feeling for a temperature.

"Mmmm," Dick said, leaning into Jason's gentle touch. "I think 'm sick," he mumbled.

Jason's brows furrowed and he hummed in response. "Do you think it's covid?" he asked.

Dick shrugged before suddenly turning away from Jason, and brushing his hands away. "G-get away from me," he said, no real bite or authority in his words.

"And why, might I ask, would you want me to get away?" Jason asked, mildly offended.

"I... I don't want to get you sick," Dick replied quietly.

Jason burst out into jovial laughter. "Dickie. If you're sick with something, I probably already have it," Jason paused for a moment before he whispered, "Or did you already forget that we're married, and we spend lots of time together without masks?"

Dick blushed lightly as Jason kissed his feverish forehead.

"Looks like maybe I'll have to remind you," Jason whispered into Dick's ear, grinning wolfishly.

Before Dick could protest, Jason had already pressed a quick kiss to his lips.

"Now I have whatever you have anyway," Jason said smugly.

Dick sat up a bit and turned away from Jason, body shaking with painful coughs. "N-not... funny," Dick rasped, falling weakly back onto the bed.

The smile slipped off of Jason's face as he rubbed Dick's back, watching as he drew in each labored breath.

"I'm sorry Dickie," Jason said softly. "We should probably go get tested though, just to make sure this isn't actually covid, or if it is then we can start our quarantine."

"D-don't f-feel like i-it," Dick whispered.

"I know. I don't particularly feel like getting a probe stuck into my brain right now either, but we need to make sure you're ok," Jason reassured, lightly squeezing Dick's shoulder.

Despite Dick's protests, Jason loaded them both up in Dick's car and drove them to a drive-through testing station.

Jason filled out the paperwork for both of them as they waited, slowly inching up the line.

When it was finally time for them to be tested, a woman dressed in what seemed to be the medical equivalent of a hazmat suit stepped up to the car window. She greeted Jason politely before asking who wanted to be tested first.

Jason volunteered after noticing how tightly Dick was gripping onto the car's armrest.

The nurse had Jason tilt his head back before she stuck the swab up his nose and twisted it, getting the sample she needed before removing the swab and storing it away. She offered Jason a tissue before changing her top layer of gloves and moving to the other side of the car with a new test in hand.

"C'mon Dickie... it's not that bad," Jason said, grabbing Dick's hand and holding it for reassurance.

Dick rolled down the window and listened as the woman explained what she was about to do again. He took a shaky breath before nodding at the woman and tilting his head back for her to begin.