A tale of knights and dragons

This chapter is heckin' long, and it is dedicated to timdrakeisnotwhelmed because of how many of my random one shot ideas she's written into reality for her 31 day July Jaydick writing thingie... so you everyone should go check that out... and timdrakeisnotwhelmed you're amazing

Jason breathed a sigh of relief as he rode out of the city gates, glad to be through with kissing babies and being relentlessly pursued by the ladies of the court. His father, Bruce, was always pestering him with constant urgings to get married and go start his own fiefdom away from Gotham. The thing was, Jason wasn't interested in the ladies of the court, in fact he wasn't interested in ladies in general... but to tell his father that would shame Gotham forever.

The only thing that Jason really wanted to do was run away and start a quiet life somewhere... with someone he loved.

Unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen... at least it wasn't likely to happen, after all, Jason had never encountered anyone like him before. A man who liked a man...

So Jason simply nudged his mount to go faster and followed the pathway towards his destination. He had a dragon to kill.

Jason rode the rocky path up the mountain toward Blüdhaven. He couldn't quite see the beginnings of the outer farms, but he knew he was close and he was eager to get to the nearest inn. After a rough night of traveling he needed a good meal, some bandages, and a soft bed.

Suddenly, Jason's horse spooked and reared onto it's back legs, launching Jason off its back and onto the sharp rocks before running off into the forest.

Jason groaned as his vision swam. He lay there on the rocks until he knew he would be able to stand without falling back down immediately.

Two large gray wolves emerged from the trees, growling as they circled him.

Jason leapt to his feet and drew his sword, but he was currently no match for the wolves who quickly had him pinned to the ground with new wounds on his side and shoulder from their sharp teeth and claws.

The wolves stood over Jason, saliva dripping from their jaws, and he could tell this was probably the end for him. Just as he'd closed his eyes and accepted his fate there was a roar accompanied by the sound of beating wings that sent the wolves running back into the forest with their tails between their legs.

Jason's vision was tunneling, and he could feel himself slipping into unconsciousness. He stared up at the sky as black spots gradually obscured his view. The last thing he saw before he closed his eyes was a man standing over him with the most beautiful blue eyes he'd ever seen.

Then everything faded to darkness.

Jason awoke in a strange cottage with a throbbing headache. The familiar weight of his armor was gone, and it felt as if there were bandages wrapped around his torso as well as one bicep.

"Oh, you're finally awake," a sweet old woman said, helping Jason sit up and placing a bowl of broth in his hands. "My name's Leslie, I'm the village medicine woman," she said with a smile.

"Where... where am I?" Jason asked.

"You're in Blüdhaven of course," Leslie said. "Now eat up. You were in a rather bad way when I first got to you and I don't want you fainting or anything. That would just be more work for me."

Jason brought a spoonful of the broth to his lips and sipped, surprised at the rich and creamy flavor. He hastily spooned more of it into his mouth when he realized how hungry he actually was.