Not your fault

Jason opened his eyes, gritting his teeth as his head throbbed. He was standing on what looked like the roof of an apartment complex, and he had absolutely no idea how he'd got there.

A wet cough caught Jason's attention, and he looked down to see Nightwing, his hands pressing Jason's leather Jacket to his chest.

Jason knelt at Dick's side and brushed a hand against the older's cheek, trying to see if his brother was awake.

Dick whimpered and flinched away from Jason's hand, the whites of his mask widening slightly when he saw his brother standing over him.

Jason's brows pressed together in confusion... that was, until he saw the blood.

Dick was lying in a puddle of the crimson liquid, and the coat he held was soaked as well.

There was blood everywhere. Speckles dotted the cement of the roof. Jason himself was covered with them... as was the gun he held in his hand...

Jason dropped the gun as if it had been red-hot, breath picking up as he put two and two together.

"What have I done?" He mumbled, falling to his knees at Dick's side, his chest clenching in terror.

"J-Jay?" Dick's voice wavered.

Jason turned back to Dick with silent tears dripping down his cheeks. "I did this didn't I?" He asked.

"Jay... 's not yer fault," Dick said weakly.

"I shot you," Jason whispered, his voice filled with horror.

"S-someone was c-controlling you. You w-would n-never hurt m-me," Dick mumbled, eyes drifting closed.

"Dick, please! Stay with me... I... I can't..." Jason begged, putting pressure on Dick's wound with his own hands now.

"Not... not your f-fault," Dick said incoherently.

"Yes it is Dick... I... I'm a monster."

"Jay..." Dick mumbled, weakly trying to remove Jason's helmet so he could see his face.

Jason took off his helmet and watched as Dick pulled off his domino mask.

"Your eyes... t-they're pretty," Dick said, staring up at Jason's exposed face.

Jason's breath hitched as he recognized what Dick was doing. They'd often talked about what they'd do in their last moments, as dying was a possibility in their line of work... and Dick had always said that he didn't want his last few moments with someone to be separated by a mask.

Dick groaned quietly as Jason shifted the pressure he was putting on his wound.

"Dickie we've got to get you to the hospital," Jason said, panic clear in his voice.

"N-not enough t-time..." Dick muttered.

"There has to be something... something that can save you," Jason nearly sobbed, his eyesight blurred with tears.

"N-not your fa...ult..." Dick's voice drifted into silence as his wheezing breaths slowed and a line of blood dripped down his chin.

Dick was dead.

Jason stared down at the body of the man he'd killed... his own brother. Tears filled his eyes, but he brushed them away. He didn't deserve to cry.

Despite what Dick had repeatedly tried to tell him, he still believed that it was his fault... after all, It had been him who pulled the trigger.