Rescued

I've got the last door," Bruce whispered, knowing that his voice would easily carry over his com unit and to the other members of the justice league.

"Roger that," was the reply from green arrow.

Bruce had called in the justice league to help him rid Gotham of the court of owls, something Alfred was very proud of him for doing, having said something like, "It's about time that you learned how to play nicely with others Master Bruce."

'Only one more door to go,' Bruce thought to himself as he moved on to the last door in the hallway.

The door, like every other in the large underground fortress, was locked.

Bruce pulled a thin laser tool from his utility belt and used it to cut through the locks on the door. 'Who needs laser-vision when they could just get one of these,' he thought as he pushed the door open. He immediately dropped into his fighting stance, expecting a talon or some other court minion to jump out and attack him.

Two glowing yellow eyes stared at Bruce from the shadows, and a scared whine echoed through the damp room.

Bruce relaxed his fighting stance when he realized that the talon huddling in the corner of the room was just a child. A scared child.

The child whimpered again and huddled into the corner when Bruce stepped closer.

"It's alright, I'm not going to hurt you," Bruce said, trying to comfort the shivering child. "Here," he said, pulling off his large cape and draping it over the little talon.

The child pulled the cape around himself and looked up at Bruce with wide eyes.

Bruce's brow furrowed as he took in the scrapes, cuts, and various other injuries that covered the child's skin. He reached forward and gently ran his hand over the talon's left leg, seeing that it was being held at a strange angle.

The talon let out a pained whine, tears filling his eyes.

"Who did this to you?" Bruce asked, voice hard.

The child's lip trembled and he buried his head in Bruce's cape, hiding his tears.

That was when Bruce did something so unlike Batman that anyone watching would've probably fainted from surprise. He reached forward and pulled the child into a gentle hug.

The talon stiffened for a moment before tentatively wrapping his arms around Bruce's neck and allowing the man to pick him up.

Bruce carried the child out of the cold cell and into the long hallway where he met up with the rest of the leaguers.

"Batman? Is that..." Superman trailed off for a moment. "I hear another heartbeat."

The talon tightened his hold on Bruce's neck, pressing himself closer to the armored Batman suit.

"Is that one of them?" Flash asked, a note of disgust in his voice.

Bruce only tightened his arms protectively around the child.

"Those things are dangerous! Maybe it's cute now, but that doesn't change the fact that it'll grow up to be a killer!" Flash whispered with venom in his voice.

The talon whimpered quietly.

"He's just a lost child Flash. Based on the state I found him in, he's probably not too attached to the court," Bruce growled, moving past the other leaguers and heading toward the exit of the building.

After a good 15 minutes of driving, the talon was fast asleep in the batmobile's passenger seat.

When they finally arrived at the hospital, Bruce gently scooped the sleeping child into his arms and carried him inside, making sure to keep his cape wrapped tightly around the tiny boy.