Overworked

This chapter is dedicated to winchesteratheart and is based off of their idea. I hope the chapter lives up to your expectations :)

It had been 3 days since Dick had gotten any substantial amount of sleep, and at this point he was basically living off of coffee and cereal.

He had been working on a few particularly difficult cases, a few of which were extremely time sensitive, all of which were more important at the moment than sleep.

The most pressing item was a missing persons case. A little girl who had been carried off by her stepfather.

He'd been working on the case for a day or so, and knew that every minute waisted diminished the likelihood of the girl being both physically and mentally safe when they found her.

A knock at Dick's apartment door made him jump, startling him from the spiral of slightly delusional sleep deprived thought he'd been stuck in. He hopped out of his chair and walked over to the door, covering his large yawn with one hand while he opened the door with the other.

Damian was standing there on Dick's doorstep with his arms folded and a small scowl on his face.

"Hi Dami," Dick said, covering another yawn with his hand.

"Grayson. Did you forget that we were scheduled to get ice cream together at 9:00?" Damian asked.

Dick glanced at his watch. 10:30... "I'm sorry Dames, but I don't know if I'll be able to take you today. I'm working on a few time sensitive cases," he said, rubbing at his forehead.

"Than I shall help you so you can get caught up," Damian said, walking past Dick and into the apartment.

"Umm. Ok," Dick said, following Damian back toward his desk. "I guess you can work on this one." He handed a folder to Damian before sitting back in front of his computer.

The two of them worked in silence for a few minutes before Dick's eyes widened. He stood and grabbed his phone, quickly calling the Blüdhaven police chief.

"Chief, I found the girl. She's in the abandoned apartment building on 5th street," Dick nearly shouted into the phone as threw on his bulletproof vest and his large black coat, walking towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Damian asked, standing up and following Dick across the room.

"I found the missing girl, and chief wants every available officer to go to the scene," Dick said. "You stay here, I'll be back in a while."

Damian grabbed on to Dick's hand, looking up at the large black bags under his brother's eyes, and seeing him shake his head to try and stay awake. "Shouldn't you get some sleep first?" He asked quietly.

"This isn't about me Dami. I need to help this girl," Dick said as he exited his apartment. "Stay here," he said once again before running towards his motorcycle that was parked in the alley below.

Dick led the squad of officers up the apartment stairs, heading toward the forth and last floor. The officers walked onto the top floor and spread out, each taking a door.

After a signal from Dick, the officers kicked open the doors to the dilapidated apartments and crouched in the doorways, each of them yelling for anyone inside to come out with their hands up.

A gunshot echoed through the building and the officers all sprinted toward the doorway that Dick had disappeared through, carefully ducking inside with their own weapons held up and ready.

Soon enough, the little girl was free and on her way back to her mother, her stepfather on his way to jail.