Puppet without strings

This one's long 😅 and I had to fight through a looooooooooooot of writer's block to get it done lol... enjoy

"Robin," Dick scolded. "Give me the sword." He stared at the recent addition to the bat family.

Damian definitely took the title of the current most murderous bat child, and Dick knew he knew how to use his sword. So to avoid any murders, he reached out his hand for Damian to surrender the weapon.

"If we die because I don't have my sword it'll be your fault," Damian hissed, reluctantly passing the weapon over.

Dick sighed and strapped the katana to his back.

Everything was going smoothly during patrol, criminals being systematically taken down and turned in. A plus being that Damian hadn't killed, maimed, or permanently disabled anyone yet.

It wasn't long before Bruce called it a night, and their little family gathered on a rooftop near the police station.

Something felt off when Dick landed, and he turned just in time to be shot through with a beam of light.

Dick stumbled forward, and stiffened when he felt a pull, a sickening painful pull, like and anchor being plunged into his soul then dragged back to its boat, carrying him with it. Panic spiked in him as he began to lose control of his own limbs, watching as he turned and marched toward his family.

The shadowy figure of a woman appeared on the rooftop. She grinned widely, a grin filled with malice like a poison. Her will crushing Dick's own as she used him like a puppet without strings...

Dick's eyes were wide with fear, his legs dragging him forward with stumbling steps despite every effort he made to stop them. His breathing sped up as he looked up and saw the fear in his family's eyes as he advanced. "Run," he pleaded, his voice a choked whisper. "Run!"

Tears rolled down his cheeks as he saw the determination in his family member's eyes. They weren't going to leave him. And he would be forced to kill them.

Dick's cried pleas became more desperate as he felt the woman's will close tighter around him like an iron fist, forcing him to draw the sword he'd confiscated from Damian at the beginning of patrol, his steps becoming more purposeful.

It was a sick game she was playing, allowing him just enough of his own will to fight against her own, sobbing and pleading with his family members to run and save themselves as he'd be forced to watch himself kill them. Letting him desperately try to stop himself.

In reality, she had total control...

Dick advanced on Tim first, the tip of the katana dragging across the rooftop ominously. "Red," he cried, voice filled with fear, "Please! Run!" He sobbed.

Tim was frozen, not believing Dick would possibly hurt him. Until his brother raised his weapon and attacked, his movements showing absolutely no mercy even as his voice cried out in panic for Tim to save himself.

Tim would've been easily overwhelmed if it hadn't been for the rest of the family rushing in to help.

Sparks flew as the sword bounced off of kevlar, Dick's attacks precise and aimed to kill.

A gunshot rang out, and Dick's body jerked, turning to face Jason as he fired at the robed woman who's iron will still held Dick captive.

"No," Dick sobbed, as his blade cut an arc through the air. He felt it connect with Jason's body, the deadly sharp tip slicing through the armor and padding of Jason's suit and leaving a bleeding slash.

Jason stumbled back, the wound not deep enough to do more than sting.

Dick's breathing was out of control, tears racing down his cheeks, his body wracked with sobs even as he turned back to the others.