Cartwheels

"Come on Jay! You can do it!" Dick encouraged, watching as Jason stood on the mat, preparing himself to try out a cartwheel.

Jason took a steadying breath, moving forward to try, but backing down at the last second. "Why do I have to learn this again?" He asked, annoyance seeping into his voice.

"Come on bro, gymnastics helps in lots of things," Dick said, easily pulling off another flawless cartwheel.

"Show off," Jason muttered, rubbing his hands together and getting back into his starting position.

Dick nodded encouragingly, excited that his brother had finally agreed to learn some gymnastics.

Jason let out a slightly nervous breath before launching into his best attempt at a cartwheel.

Dick, being the loving brother he was, didn't laugh or mock Jason like the younger most definitely would have. Instead, he helped Jason back up, offering him a smile and a pat on the back. "That was excellent Jaybird," he said, ignoring the fact that Jason had looked like a fish flopping through the air... "Let's try again, this time just focus on keeping your legs and back straight when you're kicking over."

Jason rolled his eyes, inwardly feeling elated that that Dick had told him he'd done well. He lined himself up to do another practice, and tried the cartwheel again, this time trying to fix his form and land on his feet.

This attempt however, ended with Jason sprawled on the mat, slightly winded from his fall.

Dick quickly rushed to his side. "Are you alright?" He asked, concern flooding his voice.

"I'm fine," Jason grumbled. So much for doing well.

"Do you want to keep trying, or are you done?" Dick asked gently.

"Well I'm not dead am I?" Jason asked.

Hurt flashed across Dick's face. It was too soon for jokes like that.

"I-I mean yes. I want to continue," Jason said quickly.

Dick smiled softly at him. "Ok. I want you to try a cartwheel, but this time I'm going to help guide you into the proper form. I want you to put your hands down, and I'll help you kick your legs over."

Jason got into his starting position once again and proceeded to do as Dick instructed, this time with Dick's help to kick his legs over.

"That was good!" Dick said. "Let's do a few more practices like this then you can try by yourself again."

Jason lined himself up on the mat again, preparing himself to try the cartwheel on his own again. He took a deep breath  and did his best cartwheel.

"Oh my goodness Jay! That was so much better!" Dick gushed when Jason landed the mediocre cartwheel. "I think one thing you could do would be not to hold back. I know it can be scary just going straight into a cartwheel, but if you commit than you'll be able to do even better."

Jason nodded, a small smile showing on his face. He tried once again, this time performing the cartwheel with total confidence.

This time the cartwheel was almost perfect.

"That was so good Jay," Dick said, wrapping his brother in a tight hug.

Jason sighed and hugged him back, secretly happy to get to spend time with his brother.